Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Options for a vertical, HDMI, Blu Ray player
James

posted on 22/12/20 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Options for a vertical, HDMI, Blu Ray player

Greetings all,

My TV is on an arm allowing me to pull it out from the wall when in use but then pop it 'away' for the 90% of the time it's unused.

We have a Samsung, HDMI, bluray player but it's the standard form factor shelf mount type and isn't terribly compatible with a TV on an arm. I'm trying to do a 'neat' solution.

What I would like to do is get a small, vertical, bluray player with HDMI and velcro it to the back of the TV. It'll then come out with the TV but go tidily away with it when the TV is swung back against the wall.

However, whereas DVD players used to be available in vertical form this doesn't seem to be an option with BluRay.

There are vertical mount bluray players with USB 3 connections (presumably designed for PCs). My TV has a bunch of USB slots but it doesn't feel to me like USB could handle Bluray bandwidth/resolution and also there's no way to control these players.

What am I missing? Or does no one else want to do this so they just don't make vertical, HDMI, bluray players?

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 22/12/20 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
how about a folding shelf that the dvd palyer sits on?

peter030371

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
First hit on a quick google search, no idea if its any good but it looks small https://3wisemonkeys.co.uk/product/denver-dwm-100-black/
nick205

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
James

Understand exactly your issue - it's what's stopped me mounting my TV on a VESA wall arm and ditching the TV cabinet thing it's sat on. Have you looked to see if there's a Blu-Ray player that'll attach to the VESA arm. Either between the arm and TV or as with some of our micro PCs at wotk with and adapter plate so the Blu-Ray player actually sits further out towards the edge of the the TV (making it more accessible to the side).

nick205

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
USB 3.0 is a pretty fast connection in terms of data (think it also allows higher power as well for device powering/charging). It probably will do Blu-Ray or the manufacturer's wouldn't have used it.
steve m

posted on 23/12/20 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
James

When i installed the wall TV in my Daughters house, i channeled into the wall a white plastic 28mm pipe, the stuff you use for sinks baths etc,
it was a right pita, but all the cables go in there, from a unit well to the left of the TV, and his plastered over, and no one would ever know its there

Not an ideal solution, and it was incredibly messy,

Can you buy wifi blue ray dvd's ?as all modern tvs are wifi capable

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Werner Van Loock

posted on 23/12/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
A Sony PS4 is a slot-in blu-ray player that can be mounted upright and with the PS5 available now, they're going cheap.

Other solution, wireless HDMI extender, no need to buy another blu-ray player then, do a search on ebay or amazon and they'll pop-up by the hundreds, costing appr. 150, even available for 4K/UHD resolution.

Otherwise, ditch the blu-ray player and get a chromecast with netflix

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 5/1/21 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
First hit on a quick google search, no idea if its any good but it looks small https://3wisemonkeys.co.uk/product/denver-dwm-100-black/

Ah- Google- shoulda thought of that!
Sadly that's a DVD player and I'm after Bluray but I'll keep hunting.

I think I'll have to go the lightweight moveable shelf route that's fixed with 'L' brackets fixed between the TV and the VESA bracket.

The search continues!

Thanks folks!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 5/1/21 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
James, What about an Amazon 4K Fire stick? I received one for Xmas and I've now stopped using our Apple box set and DVD player.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.