Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Better time management (new year resolution)
James

posted on 5/1/21 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I'd advise against a speardsheet, I do those all day.
Just have an A4 pad on the go, or a whiteboard as mentioend else it will be more trouble to fire up the speradsheet than to record quick win tasks, that are just as satisfying to write on and cross off shortly after

I'm the opposite. An A4 pad will just disappear into nowhere, or the wife will use it for shopping lists, or the kids will use it for colouring in, etc. At least a spreadsheet can sit in my phone and I can update it wherever I am.

It's working so far, although I forgot to leave a column for 'compensating for lack of sleep'... turns out I'd not taken into account my insomnia... which probably comes from bad diet and exercise... which is limited by me procrastinating about it... and round and round I go...

Did you try the Trello app I mentioned? It really is a far superior tool than Excel.

Don't get me wrong, I love Excel and use it a lot and it will be fine for simple list, but there's a lot of useful functionality on Trello.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

indykid

posted on 6/1/21 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
What's the point of the electric assist if you're looking at using it for fitness?

Why start running 5k when you're training for a marathon?

Apples and oranges. Electric assist just makes you think you ran the 5k, when you actually ran 2k. It's really just a (very expensive) crutch for the ego

Go run (ride) the 2k on your cheap bike and know you did it alone.

Meh, maybe it's just me. I can see it for a cargo bike or D similar.

[Edited on 4/1/21 by coyoteboy]

Have you actually tried one? It's not an electric motorbike, but it makes insurmountable or truly grueling climbs possible for people that couldn't do it themselves. If you live in the Fens, there's probably not a lot of value in it for you, but if you live in Yorkshire or anywhere with a bit of relief, I can't get more than quarter of a mile from my house without going up or down a significant hill.

Like you, I find the cost prohibitive, but I cut my teeth as a road cyclist training for triathlons with reasonable baseline fitness so there really was no value in any assistance. If you're only wanting to get moving, for a lot of people, it would be the difference between getting out (and doing half the work), or not going at all. The e-bikes I've ridden have been really unintrusive and it means you can absolutely steam up ridiculous hills....or turn the assistance off and have extra weight, extra drag, limited gearing and work even harder than those cheaters on their manual bikes.

Either way, you end up fitter than you were before, as long as you can overcome the hurdle of setting off in the first place, so I can't see how it's so bad.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/1/21 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've completed a few big projects since 2010 including designing and building a couple of brand new cars.

I find a key is to make a list of jobs that you want to do next (maybe 10 items) and then try to do one job a day, then cross that job off the list. Even if it's a tiny job crossing it off is satisfying, then as the list gets slowly crossed off it shows you the real progress you are making. Then when it's all done you have th satisfaction of wiping the board and completing the list. Then you write a new list.

It's good because it doesn't force you to have a certain amount of time free, if you only have 10 minutes free you can just get one of the small jobs done, if you have 1/2 a day you can tackle a big task. But you are always making progress.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
erwe

posted on 29/9/23 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Procrastination is a real beast to tackle. Based on my own experience, when you're juggling multiple projects, consistency is key. For something like car building, which requires regular hands-on engagement, I'd suggest smaller chunks every day or every other day. This way, it becomes a habit, and you won't feel overwhelmed.

One thing that's helped me stay on top of my tasks is using this productivity tracking tool for work. It tracks the time I spend on various tasks and then sends me automated reports showing my efficiency and productivity. Based on those insights, I've been able to refine my workflow process.

[Edited on 29/9/23 by erwe]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.