Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a car from NI
number-1

posted on 25/2/21 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a car from NI

Im thinking of buying a car from NI without seeing it due to covid restrictions. Ive seen loads of photos and videos of it. What is the safest way to pay for it? It will be picked up and delivered by a transport firm but wanted opinions on how to pay

N1

nick205

posted on 26/2/21 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting question and not one I have an instant answer to.

Obviously you want the payment method giving you the best protection in case any gotes wrong. At the same time you don't (I'm sure) want to be paying an extra sum of money for that protection.

If you're buying from a trader you ought to be able to pay by credit card. If so you do need to check the terms of both the credit card and the trader to make sure there's nothing to catch you out.

You could use the "ESCROW" method (I think that's the name for it) where the money's held by a 3rd party (e.g. a bank or solicitor) until you receive the vehicle and approve release of funds. This method is subject to charges though.

Do you know anyone if NI who could look at the vehicle before you purchase? I appreciate the times we're in, but if you know someone local to the vehicles location it may be an option.

Could you negotiate a split payment arrangement with the seller. xx% deposit payment up front and xx% completion payment on receipt?

I'll follow this thread with interest to see what solutions put forward.

russbost

posted on 26/2/21 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I would arrange for the transport co. to go & collect, perhaps having paid a small deposit by way of Paypal (protected, NOT sent as a gift). When the transport guy gets there, he can see the vehicle started up, send you pics of the vehicle as it is now & if necessary short video of anything you want looked at in detail, check all documents are to your satisfaction & assuming you're then happy, you make payment by instant bank transfer.
Buyer has his funds & his only cost is 3.4% to Paypal on the deposit monies only - your risk is the cost of the transport co. going & finding it's a HoS & you're out of pocket for that, but your deposit is recoverable.

Any seller not prepared to do this I would not consider safe to deal with

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 26/2/21 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
russbost seem to have a handle on this. He's also been a trader for some time so is probably more familiar with this type of thing.
russbost

posted on 26/2/21 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have bought cars & bikes just this way, I don't believe in parting with any significant amount of money until I'm as near 100% sure of the outcome as possible.

Unlike someone who has just sent me over £8k from abroad, he's a very trusting chap & I would guess bound to get burnt by someone less scrupulous than myself!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 26/2/21 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it's still the case, but payments or deposits for cars didn't used to be covered by the paypal buyer protection so you may as well send as a gift if you're going to do it.

Why does it have to be that specific car? Is it one of a kind?

There isn't a way I can see that I would be comfortable with. If it's too much money to walk away from if it goes tits up or is a scam, don't do it or find a way to go in person.

number-1

posted on 26/2/21 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies chaps.

What ive found out so far is...... Any reputable car transport firm will need the car to be paid for in full before they will collect it.

I think the only way will be to pay the full amount via the safest way possible and hope for the best. Ive seen loads of photos and videos of the car and will speak via video call to the seller and ask for a walk and talk of the car. Ive checked a forum he is on and it seems like he is genuine

Why is nothing ever local lol!! Ideally id get a ferry over there and do things the old fashioned way.

russbost

posted on 26/2/21 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Any reputable transport firm will accept payment for the job, then attend the car & report back to you, I don't know where you are based, but you want a small operation, like Wayne Blackwell (Essex). They will be happy to do the sort of thing I've suggested, as long as paid for the job up front, from their point of view, if it doesn't get picked up, they've been paid & have saved the loading time & diversion to your place to drop car off, your potential losses are vastly smaller than paying for the car & then finding it doesn't exist or is a HoS!

number-1

posted on 26/2/21 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Russ, ive googled him and think ive found him on Facebook. Is he the owner of Blackwell sports cars? If so, ill drop him a message and get a quote. Will it be a case of pay him, he goes to the seller, checks the car over with me on the phone, then if its as described i pay the seller and he brings the car to me?

Edit...he just replied and doesnt do overseas but will collect from a port.

[Edited on 26/2/21 by number-1]

02GF74

posted on 27/2/21 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1

Why is nothing ever local lol!! Ideally id get a ferry over there and do things the old fashioned way.

Pretty sure current covid laws rule that out but you could agree a deposit to keep the car until you are able to travel.

As had been already said, it really is a case of how much you are willing to risk losing if it goes mammary glands up.
How much are we talking about?
Obviously you have done your homework, is the seller a trader and sold before, you have phoned them to talk about their car, you have the sellers name and address, and verified they are real, you have Googlemaooed the address and can see it exist and had cars parked outside. Ask for specific photos of the car to verify its existence etc.

BTW I purchased a motorcycle unseen off ebay, did the above, spoke with Russ, no not that one, did the best to check seller as they have own website, paid just under £3000 via credit which I believe covers fraud and it was delivered. Obviously as I did not see it up close, there were some minor disappointments but overall it was cheap for the condition and mileage, similar sell for close to £5000.

russbost

posted on 27/2/21 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, the shipping thing is a problem & a significant extra cost with a transporter both ways - would he agree to get the car to a UK port with a deposit & then arrange transport from there?

steve m

posted on 27/2/21 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It may just be me, but if i was to part company with a lot of money, say 1k or more, i wouldnt even consider buying something, that i hadnt even seen, or had some one reputable look at it first

it will only end up in tears, and possible law suits

As said, its just MHO

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.