Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: petrol costs etc
baz265

posted on 16/10/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
petrol costs etc

Can anyone give me info on the difference in costs of running a bike engine compared to a car engine(standard 2.0 litre) or (r1). Costs such as petrol and installation. Obviously tax is cheaper with the smaller engine size but in the long run which is easier to maintain? thanks for the help. I want to go bike but am just checking every detail first. Cheers

http://barrystoy.blogspot.com/

BenB

posted on 16/10/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance goes up by 150% for a BEC
baz265

posted on 16/10/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
not in ireland i think every kit car has a standard insurance of around 800 euro. Tax on a bike is 90 euro and car is 600. sucks

flak monkey

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
20-35mpg on 2 litre car engine depending on carbs or injection.

30-50mpg from a bike engine, depending on spec etc.

Like everything it depends how heavy your right foot is.

Bear in mind with a bike engine that the gearbox is part of the engine, so if you knacker the box, you really need a whole new engine. Bike engines are pretty simple to work on, and most bits are easily accessible. Also remember some parts, such as cams, run straight into the castings and not in bearing shells like in a car engine.

Also remember bike engines are usually knackered after 35-50k miles, where as a car engine usually lasts for about 100k miles.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

baz265

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
very interesting to know thank you very much. Whenever someone says you ruin the engine thats the scary part.

thanks again exactly what i wanted

BenB

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a ST1100 you can easily do 100s of thousands of miles on the same engine 150k+ is not unusual- doubt I'll do that much though!!!

800 euros sucks for insurance!!

speedyxjs

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Also remember bike engines are usually knackered after 35-50k miles, where as a car engine usually lasts for about 100k miles.

Or a jag engine lasts for about 300k

Howlor

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was getting about 28-32 on a fireblade but I have an on off style foot!

You only build a bec for one reason so go for it. Bike engine insurance was only £180 for me and I don't have NCD as I have a company car.

Steve

awinter

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance was £250 including breakdown insurance 0 no claims on a Striker ZX9r.

I'm not sure how that would compare witha zetec.

MPG, anything from 15mpg to 30-32. Mine is on the limiter in 6th at 110. A longer diff would improve economy but not too worried about that.

Been to lemans and back in mine and done a couple of track days. The engine is fine. You can pick up ZX9r engines cheap now. Easy swap if you get the same type.

go for the bike engine, you will not regret it.

Allan

BenB

posted on 16/10/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
NCBs don't make any difference with kit cars

The insurance companies ignore them....

mr henderson

posted on 16/10/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
where as a car engine usually lasts for about 100k miles.

David

Unless it's a modern engine such as a Zetec that's been runnng on fuel injection, in case 100,000 is not very much at all, and it entirely suitable as a donor for a kit car with no rebuilding at all in most cases.

Carb engines, on the other hand, suffer from the bore wash effect of the extra neat petrol (choke) needed to start them.

brynhamlet

posted on 16/10/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
What choke

my engine has two twin Dellortos. Two pumps on the throttle to prime the engine, turn it over with no throttle and lift the throttle gently to warm it

wilkingj

posted on 16/10/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
My Rover V8 in the Viento does 26mpg on a run at a steady 70-80mph on the motorway. Its considerably less round towm, and I recon with a heavy right foot its into single figures, and large reduction in rear tyre depth

Why worry about the fuel costs. In 2 years I have done 3.5k miles in my viento. Thats not very far, and the fuel cost is something you have to put up with and its usually dependnet upon how much Grin Factor you get from driving your car.

Its NOT your daily drive, so dont worry about the fuel comsumption.
If you do worry about it, then buy a small diesel, and get 80mpg, but NO Grin Factor!

I can see the arguement over BEC / CEC, and IMHO its down to personal preference.

My V8 isnt a lot faster than Rusty Nuts 1600 Xflow (vulcan head, piper Cam, Bike throttle bodies and Emerald ECU)

A BEC is faster still on acceleration, but what the heck.. Most kit cars will outaccelerate most other cars, even performance and sports cars. Basically its down to the weight to power ratio.

I just Love the V8 burble... Some just love the Angry Wasp sound of the bike engines.

At the end of the day, I would rather go to a kit car show 100 miles away with a V8 burble, than they angry wasp in my ear

Decide what you want to do then do it.

Better still, get a ride or even a drive (if poss) in several kit cars with different engines, and see what the difference is.

Then you will be able to make a better choice.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/10/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^ Well said that man. Its all about personal preference and only you know what you will use the car for when its built. Pick the engine that best suits your requirements and dont worry too much about economy due to the limited mileage you are likely to do.

My first car had a Zetec giving 173bhp but was in a car weighing 670kg with comfy Richfield seats etc. I did plenty of runs across Wales in it but mostly my runs were a thrash of less than an hour.

I now want a more focused car for trackdays / short road runs, so a bike engine suits me down to the ground. I sold the zetec car to build a stripped to the bones BEC.

Only you really can decide whats best for you and the use you want to put it too. Whatever engine you put in you'll find you spend far too much time and money on the car than the better half would like!!

baz265

posted on 16/10/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
ok guys thanks for all the info. I know i shouldnt worry to much about it but the truth is i am in a very sticky country about these things. Kit cars are not known about and when u ring insurance companies they dont even know what they are. There is only 20 or 30 kits and only a few 7 types so its hard to get a drive around. i did get a spin in an mk with a fireblade engine though which had me smiling for about a week... I am heading over to mnr on the 6th of november and will get a spin in a couple then i hope and then its clear out the bank time.....

While im on this topic does anyone know of anywhere cheap to stay in harrogate that is close enough to mnr???

thanks a mil guys

James

posted on 16/10/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
where as a car engine usually lasts for about 100k miles.

David

Unless it's a modern engine such as a Zetec that's been runnng on fuel injection, in case 100,000 is not very much at all, and it entirely suitable as a donor for a kit car with no rebuilding at all in most cases.

Carb engines, on the other hand, suffer from the bore wash effect of the extra neat petrol (choke) needed to start them.

I've done 234,000 in my carb'd 1.8Mk2 Golf so far...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

PhilCross66

posted on 16/10/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure that cheap and Harrogate are words that you would normally find in the same sentance

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.