Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are the obvious gaps in the kitcar market?
mr henderson

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
What are the obvious gaps in the kitcar market?

OK, so we are all interested in making cars, but not as mass manufacturers. I'm sure many of us might like to convert our hobby into some form of money makng enterprise, and indeed quite a few have already done that.

But, does the kit car world need another LSIS? Not really. There are more n the market than I could shake two sticks at. But, when I am daydreaming about having my own little company turning out kits I need to have something particular in mind, but what should it be?

Any thoughts on this? What is the market lacking at the moment?

Your thoughts are welcome

indykid

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
what are the obvious gaps in the kit car market?

down the side of a tiger bonnet?

sorry. couldn't resist
tom

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I quite fancy a 3 wheeler, 2 up front using the back end off a bike.

Kit wouldnt be too hard.

I know there are a few around already but I doubt if anyone had any great ideas they would post them up...as they'd be shooting their own pipedream in the foot.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
more like its saturated are the moment, especially 3 wheelers. as donor cars are reaching the point that you need to be a computer expert just to get them running, fewer and fewer folk will be willing to take the plung. On top of that, kit cars seem to be climbing in price while second hand cars are falling. l wonder what is in store for this industry.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Good customer services?

Edit: Sorry thats not fair - Some are great.

[Edited on 11/5/08 by joneh]

bigrich

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the idea of Mid engine, with the abundance of FWD vehicles on the road they make more sense long term than the 7 style. Pretty sure thats where the industry will head long term AIMHO obviously. 400 bhp 6 speed zlet midi anyone

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

RK

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Service. The same with any industry. Providing service costs money though, as time = money. I spend a lot of time asking a lot of questions, that to a mechanic, seen banal and simple, and take a lot of time. Maybe I'm not the normal kit car person, but I represent a possible target market for any business.

I don't think you can provide really good service, and still make money. That's just what I've concluded after 1 1/2 years of building.

zilspeed

posted on 11/5/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Something light and with minimal bodywork so it's relaitevely simple to build.

Also, the , most obvious donors nowadays are front wheel drive, so it would make most sense to use one of those mid engines or possibly even a bike engine.

So, a modern mid engined seven with the possibility of a bike engine.

Oh wait, it's already been done...

froggy

posted on 11/5/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
it seems like the atom is the car to ape at the moment .there are a couple of copies already out there using focus drivetrains
nitram38

posted on 11/5/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
it seems like the atom is the car to ape at the moment .there are a couple of copies already out there using focus drivetrains

Or an R1

Description
Description

Description
Description

mr henderson

posted on 11/5/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I see service has been mentioned a couple of times. interesting.

At the moment it seems to me that the only kit car that caters for tall people is the Luego Viento, most of the other cars I've seen, especially the coupes, set off my claustrophobia even thinking about trying to get in one.

In fact, if a kit manufacturer were to make a 2 seater coupe that could accommodate tall people in comfort I think they would have found a gap in the mainstream manufactured market too!

[Edited on 11/5/08 by mr henderson]

DIY Si

posted on 11/5/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say, from my experience, that cars for tall people aren't that hard to find. I'm 6'3" and fit in my Indy just fine. There's even 3" or so behind my seat too. The new/upcoming Epona is designed to fit people up to 6'4", which if it ends up as a coupe and a soft top, should help fill the gap you're looking at! Otherwise, if there's two or more similar cars out there, I'd tend to go with the one that's best supported. Not necessarily the cheapest or best, but the one I'm most likely to actually finish!
Mix

posted on 11/5/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
A sportscar for £250......

Mick

Guinness

posted on 11/5/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I quite fancy a 3 wheeler, 2 up front using the back end off a bike.

I REALLY want to build the "Magnet" but without the electric drive and weird front wheels:

magnet and not a kitchen
magnet and not a kitchen

Stick a 1000cc Honda V twin VTR as a donor and away you go. Quite happy to shoot his pipe dream in the foot though!

My own thought on a gap in the market would be a "green" kit car. I know it's all the fashion, but I really liked the "Quitgas" electric motorbike from last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzi4tL3QMWk

Wonder if I could combine the two?

Cheers

Mike

LBMEFM

posted on 11/5/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of re-inventing the wheel purchase part built kits, there are many around, completing and then retailing them as finished cars. You couild also offer servicing and build assistance. Maybe , this would be a less risky venture.
Barry

RazMan

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
One major thing is missing from the market IMO - proper weather protection. It is what I originally looked for when I started my build but I only partly achieved it - I've still got leaky doors but hopefully the new version will have sorted it out once and for all, along with electric windows too.

Fair weather driving is not for me - I like to use my car all year round

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
One major thing is missing from the market IMO - proper weather protection. It is what I originally looked for when I started my build but I only partly achieved it - I've still got leaky doors but hopefully the new version will have sorted it out once and for all, along with electric windows too.

Fair weather driving is not for me - I like to use my car all year round

I have an old version of this:

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php?pge_id=11&product_id=177

Cheaper than a roof, and keeps you dry from car to inside

I think if you want to sell something as a business, find out how far most people drive in a commute (prob <10 miles) and make a cheap electric version that at costs eff all to run and electric).

Something like an electric golf cart, with scooter prices.

ATB

Simon

Schrodinger

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
OK, so we are all interested in making cars, but not as mass manufacturers. I'm sure many of us might like to convert our hobby into some form of money makng enterprise, and indeed quite a few have already done that.

But, does the kit car world need another LSIS? Not really. There are more n the market than I could shake two sticks at. But, when I am daydreaming about having my own little company turning out kits I need to have something particular in mind, but what should it be?

I think what the market is lacking at the moment is customers and I'm not sure how you can tackle that. I agree that there are enough LSIS out there but there are one or two other kits like the GTM and hopefully the Epona soon.

Keith
Aviemore

eznfrank

posted on 11/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I wish you could buy bikes in kit form, I fancy a big ass American chopper but without the gargantuan custom build price tag. Something like this.... linky
Bob C

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Very obvious

A Gwiz style electric thingy

donut

posted on 12/5/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Very obvious

A Gwiz style electric thingy
I think the next 'big' thing will be electric power. Also as said before clip on hard tops for the top selling 7's like MK, MAC1 etc.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Marcus

posted on 12/5/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a gap in the market you're looking for, try a 4 /5 seater, lightweight, mid engined car with a good soft top. Lots of us are family guys needing another seat

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

zilspeed

posted on 12/5/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
If it's a gap in the market you're looking for, try a 4 /5 seater, lightweight, mid engined car with a good soft top. Lots of us are family guys needing another seat

Here here.

I've almost bought a Quantum on a couple of occasions for this particular reason. And yes, that's why we have the Golf Ragtop. Left home Saturday and it was cloudy. Got the shopping, came out of the shop and it was lovely and sunny.
Roof down, home via the scenic route. Me, She and the little She.

If there was a kit car that could do these things, it would sell IMHO.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.