Board logo

ford zetec 1.8 black top to mazda rx8 gear box
motojohn - 21/8/18 at 01:47 PM

bit of help please im fitting a ford zetec black top motor to my kit car and have gone for a 5 speed RX8 gear box , i got the adaptor plate for it and found that the clutch spline is the same as the RX8 box thats good .
but i was told that the ford starter motor would just bolt in with a little felting of the bell housing but mine the one that came with the motor will not and i was wondering if anybody could tell me which will fit as i have two starters one brand new and the one that came with motor and i can see no way of fitting them .
i was going to buy a new MX8 onebut i do not know if it will work with the ford fly wheel .

big_wasa - 21/8/18 at 03:39 PM

They mean the normal rwd starter will bolt up by chopping a little out the box to clear the nose of the starter.

So if your using a Zetec flywheel you want the starter from the 1.8 cvh or the 2.0 dohc. Often referred to as the lrs707 if it’s a pinto style Zetec flywheel you will want the pinto starter.

I have asked one of the adapter suppliers if he will do one for the Zetec starter in the stock position. He feels there isn’t enough demand.

motojohn - 21/8/18 at 04:52 PM

Thanks Big wasa i will have a look and see what i can get thanks for the info

big_wasa - 21/8/18 at 05:22 PM

Look up a user on here called starterman he is in the trade and has looked after others.

motojohn - 21/8/18 at 05:23 PM

thanks i will

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 12:25 PM

are the holes meant to line up ? i know you are meant to file the inside of the bell housing but something is not right starter man sent me this today

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 12:50 PM

Erm, you do know the starter bolts to the adapter plate and not the gearbox ,

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 12:54 PM

Noooooooooo !!! way Now, i feel very stupid

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 12:55 PM

Best photo I can find.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302825525161

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 01:04 PM

yes i saw that one it all make sense now the only thing is it looks like i need a new sump as mine is in the way

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 01:26 PM

so now im on the look out for a sump , im told that a sierra will fit but now i look at it i may be able to cutaway the part in the way as its only a mounting plate

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 03:17 PM

Yep when sticking a Zetec in a 7 the sump will need work.

You can chop yours down to fit = free, top of the range for a wet sump is the Raceline = £500+ and there are other options in between.

In my opinion the 1.8 cvh Sierra is not worth the bother and I have done a couple. Neil Dunne does a nice f2 Zetec sump and is a way better option.

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 04:57 PM

way ahead of you, looked at the price of sumps and thought NO lets have a good look at the sum,p i have and did this , thanks for your help ,without it i would still be scratching my head .

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 05:03 PM

you don’t mess about do you ...

motojohn - 23/8/18 at 05:10 PM

Not with a grinder , the" bodgers Scalpel "