Board logo

Collective wisdom re IVA application
russbost - 14/4/20 at 11:13 AM

Thought I'd bounce this one off you guys, see what the LCB collective comes up with!

I was approached a while back, due to my reputation as a maverick & non conformist by a guy who's putting a race car on the road & was asking me about the various IVA categories.

This is a Saker sports car, built around 2010, used as a race car; now he's modifying it for road use, so has changed seat belt mount positions, added handbrake, steering column u/j's, got lights at right positios, sorted a CAT & BET's emissions etc etc

He's an amateur so I suggested it should go in as an amateur build, but of course most of the car was already built by professionals (Saker), the other obvious alternative being class C as a professional build, same test, as it has to have CAT test due to engine age anyway. However, cat C says " built from parts from a vehicle already registered" which of course it isn't as it's a race car! That wording doesn't appear in the amateur build classification. So he thought perhaps it goes in as class R, which is anything not fitting the above categories.

At this point he (foolishly in my view!) got in touch with DVSA or VOSA or whatever they are calling themselves now, & emailed, not really expecting a reply, they did however reply to the effect that if it was over 10 years old then it doesn't require IVA, it can simply be registered with DVLC, now I'm quite sure that's wrong, (if it wasn't there'd be a lot more ex race cars on the road!) but anyway his car was 8 months younger than 10 years so doesn't apply (though of course it WILL be 10 years old later this year!). He then suggested to them that it would be class R, apparently to qualify for class R you have to provide all sorts of documentary proof regarding the build quality & standards it's been built to, which of course he doesn't have, at which point they've said that as it doesn't fit a category then he wouldn't be able to apply for a test!!!

This is why I never attempt to talk to authorities first, just present them with a fait accompli!

I still think it should go in as a class A - it is an amateur vehicle as he's not a professional builder - I know some of you guys have been challenged on the amateur built status if you don't have documentary proof/pics etc. showing the whole build process

Thoughts of the collective please? & yes, I know he ain't gonna get a test anytime soon, but just trying to get ducks in a line for when he can.

loggyboy - 14/4/20 at 11:20 AM

Iva doesnt need to know the history. They only care about the engine age. Id just stick it in as an amatuer build then when it came to reg stick it in for a Q plate which the dvla wont care about the history, thats half the point of the q system.
Ignore the saker and ex race history aa that just muddies the waters.

SPYDER - 14/4/20 at 12:22 PM

The 10 year rule does exist. My friend attempted to cite it whilst registering his "barn find" kit car which had stood since the mid 90's unregistered. The DVLA dug in their heels and said that the only proof they could accept that the car was in fact "complete" over ten years ago was an MOT cert. They were unable to point to any legislation to back this up though. My friend went through supposedly "independant" review followed by some sort of arbitration then contacted his MP and finally the Parliamentary Ombudsman. All sided with the DVLA. The car is now nearly ready for IVA.
If the car in question has an RAC logbook bearing the car's chassis number then I would say he could well be home and dry once the ten year rule is satisfied. He'll need to pass an MOT though.
If they've offered him this avenue he should take it.
I'm amazed there aren't more ex race cars getting registered too.

russbost - 14/4/20 at 12:43 PM

My understanding of the 10 year rule was that it applied only to vehicles previously registered elsewhere, or vehicles intended for road use that hadn't been registered for whatever reason, I've never heard of anyone getting a race car older than 10 years legitimately registered without going thro' IVA.

My/his concern re applying as amateur application is that IIRC there is a form you have to fill in stating what of the car you've built, stuff like steering, transmission, engine etc. to which all of his (truthful) answers would have to be no, tho', ridiculously if he takes parts off & then refits them he can genuinely claim to have built those areas!

SPYDER - 14/4/20 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
... if he takes parts off & then refits them he can genuinely claim to have built those areas!

This is fairly standard advice to those buying a kit they haven't built themselves. Take it apart and do a "photo" rebuild.

Re. the ten year rule your understanding is broadly the same as mine. If the car has an RAC logbook they may look upon this as some form of "documented "registration.
My friend had build photos and a letter from the seller along with other admittedly "circumstantial" evidence to back up his claim. All were ignored. They were looking for documented proof which an RAC logbook may provide.
He'd be mad not to explore this avenue, especially if they are suggesting it.

mackei23b - 14/4/20 at 08:48 PM

I recently registered a 2005 Caterham that was a race car (previously unregistered) - I stripped and rebuilt the car with pictures - (rebuilt and modified to comply with the IVA). I then was able to submit as an amateur rebuild.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

swanny - 16/4/20 at 08:13 AM

how far do they expect you to strip the car back? i have a mate in a similar situation where taking it apart may be the only route.

paul

mackei23b - 16/4/20 at 11:21 AM

Have a look at the IVA 4 form - self build declaration it says:

Please indicate which of the major components below have been fitted to the chassis/body by you or individuals acting on your behalf who are not in the business of building vehicles.
Engine
Body
Suspension
Axles
Transmission
Steering assembly

Though it does not give guidance on how many need to be ticked - For a Caterham the body is already part fitted - it's just the wings that you fit so you should be OK with most of the body panels still on the car

[Edited on 16/4/20 by mackei23b]