Board logo

Panelling/flooring - what order?
jps - 5/7/16 at 08:37 AM

Maybe i'm being thick - but I can't help but think that if I fit my floor first, i'll really struggle to get good square on access to drill and rivet the tunnel side panels...

So - do I need to panel the sides of the transmission tunnel before I fit the floor? Or will this cause me problems I haven't forseen?

nick205 - 5/7/16 at 09:11 AM

On my MK Indy I fitted the floor first, then the interior panels. I did buy a right angle drill chuck to improve access when drilling the interior rivet holes though - about £15 IIRC - not used it since though.

Brian R - 5/7/16 at 09:29 AM

Drill everything first and dry fit the panels with cleco's or similar. You can then de-bur and tidy the panels etc before you fit them permanently.

roadrunner - 5/7/16 at 11:34 AM

As already said. Floor first. The tunnel panels are easy to sort later on in the build.

Bluemoon - 5/7/16 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R
Drill everything first and dry fit the panels with cleco's or similar. You can then de-bur and tidy the panels etc before you fit them permanently.

This the best option... Saves time in the long run..

nick205 - 5/7/16 at 01:44 PM

This is the chuck attachment I bought...

RIGHT ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT CHUCK KEY ADAPTER 3/8" DIY TOOL ACCESSORY CORDLESS

Phil_1471 - 5/7/16 at 05:26 PM

Fit the stuff first that you least expect to want to take off in the future!

jps - 6/1/17 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Quick bit of feedback - I used this link to buy the same right angle drill attachment. I was not overwhelmed by the quality - although I appreciate you get what you pay for - there is a fair bit of play in the chuck. That said, I don't know how much it is impacting on the actual hole I am getting - and the clecos still fit snugly so i'm assuming it will suffice.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick!

nick205 - 6/1/17 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Quick bit of feedback - I used this link to buy the same right angle drill attachment. I was not overwhelmed by the quality - although I appreciate you get what you pay for - there is a fair bit of play in the chuck. That said, I don't know how much it is impacting on the actual hole I am getting - and the clecos still fit snugly so i'm assuming it will suffice.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick!

Still have mine and it works fine for me. Yes there is some play in it, but it seems to drill holes OK. From experience you have to hold it pretty tight in use to avoid potential damage to yourself or surrounding materials.