Board logo

Engine Crane, south London?
MrNickB - 18/4/13 at 10:50 AM

Hi. My big Locost project is an F1 style single seater, but I can't get too much done on that until I finish the engine swap in my Lotus Elise. To that end, does anyone in the Surrey/South London area have an engine crane I could borrow for a day?

Thanks!

Nick

jonrotheray - 18/4/13 at 02:40 PM

Handcross on the A23 too far south??

MrNickB - 18/4/13 at 03:03 PM

Thanks very much for replying so quickly!

Not too far at all - is there any chance I could borrow for Tuesday next week? And to confirm, is it the type with the hydraulic cylinder to lift the arm?

Always good to meet another constructor as well

jonrotheray - 18/4/13 at 05:23 PM

You have u2u.

b14wrc - 18/4/13 at 07:58 PM

Hi, what elise do you have out of interest?

I am thinking about one for my next road car to replace my Auris.

I heard the Honda engine is mental in the lotus! Whats the spec? How hard will it be to fit?

I would lend you my crane but I'm in Cumbria so no use at all to you but interested in hearing more about your lotus.

Rob

MrNickB - 18/4/13 at 08:43 PM

I bought an Elise, a year 2000 Sport 160, in 2004. Only slight problem was that the previous owner had attempted to drive through a tree. The tree had won, and the driver's wheel ended up touching the driver's side door. I repaired that by building new suspension mount points and various other fixes. The Elise S1 is a great chassis, and now pretty cheap if you can look after it yourself.

The Honda engine I have is 220bhp, on a car that will weigh about 750kg. My main reason for changing it was the sports cams - the Rover K engine was unpleasant at low speeds due to lack of torque. The Rover K gearbox is also, and I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, not the best. I want a car that will be a fun track machine, as well as usable at low speeds.

The kit car build will target a BMW M3 engine with DCT transmission, 440bhp, in a single seater chassis with an all-up weight of under 600kg. I'm sure that will provide some interesting photos for this site!

MrNickB - 18/4/13 at 08:45 PM

[Edited on 18/4/13 by MrNickB]

MrNickB - 18/4/13 at 08:52 PM

[Edited on 18/4/13 by MrNickB]

b14wrc - 18/4/13 at 09:46 PM

Good job putting the lotus back together.

I'd like to see updates on the transplant, let me know.

Rob