Board logo

Assembly lube advice
joneh - 27/6/16 at 12:22 PM

Hi,

How long does assembly lube stay in place for? Will probably be a few months before I start things up after fitting a new cam.

Anyone got a recommendation for a long lasting lube?

Ta.

r1_pete - 27/6/16 at 12:46 PM

I used Lucas lube - http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/semi-synthetic-assembly-lube

I didn't leave the engine long before running it, but its incredibly sticky.

I bought 8oz, it came in 2 x 4oz, and one was plenty for my 944 engine, these engines are notorious for taking ages to pump oil once rebuilt, pressure in mine came up within 5 seconds of cranking, would definitely recommend it.

ETA there's probably enough for a cam in my opened bottle if you want to cover the post its yours...

[Edited on 27/6/16 by r1_pete]

joneh - 27/6/16 at 05:04 PM

Thanks for the reply and the kind offer. I'll look that stuff up.

I'll get myself a full tub as I'm rebuilding the whole engine. Thanks again for the offer and advice.

Nickp - 27/6/16 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I used Lucas lube - http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/semi-synthetic-assembly-lube

I didn't leave the engine long before running it, but its incredibly sticky.

I bought 8oz, it came in 2 x 4oz, and one was plenty for my 944 engine, these engines are notorious for taking ages to pump oil once rebuilt, pressure in mine came up within 5 seconds of cranking, would definitely recommend it.

ETA there's probably enough for a cam in my opened bottle if you want to cover the post its yours...

I use the same stuff, it's like treacle!! That won't be going anywhere fast, it'll still be exactly where you put it come start up time

r1_pete - 27/6/16 at 06:30 PM

You're welcome, it is really good stuff and just what you need.

Its about £10 pe 4oz and well worth it.

Brian R - 28/6/16 at 12:09 PM

I used Graphogen on the last build I did (crossflow). It's more grease like and won't budge no matter how long before start up.

Engine Building Graphogen Lube For Crankshafts Bearings Cams Valves - 125g Tube