Board logo

Well, that's a new con trick!
David Jenkins - 22/3/19 at 04:59 PM

Got this in my email this afternoon:

----------------------------------------------%<-------------------------------------------------------

Server Message

Dear david.jenkins
Avoid account de-activation, due to 85% used data volume and upgrade more volume for your email And this request will be processed shortly.
Failure to oblige will lead to de-activation of mail box, you are advised to cancel the request now

Cancel De-activation

However, if you do not cancel this request, the your account will be shutdown shortly
and all your email data will be lost permanently.

Source: lathyrus.eu Security Team 2019

----------------------------------------------%<----------------------------------------------------------

It came with fancy graphics, and the "Cancel De-activation" was a button - with a link to some site with a .pl suffix. I don't think I'll click on that. thank you...

The big laugh is that the "lathyrus.eu Security Team" is me! I own the domain, and I have 4 userids on it, none of which is "postmaster".

Now, if the email had come from my ISP, then I might have fallen for it - but I very much doubt it...

MikeRJ - 22/3/19 at 05:23 PM

The punctuation and grammar is still dire enough to spot it as a scam. God help people if the scammers ever get a good grasp of written English.

joneh - 22/3/19 at 06:46 PM

I'm getting spams at the moment that actually have an old password in the text, to apparently prove that I've been hacked and should pass over some of my hard earned.

Fall out from the LinkedIn hack a few years back.

owelly - 22/3/19 at 06:58 PM

Yesterday I got an email from Government Gateway urging me to click to complete my registration, which was believable as I had just registered with the .GOV gateway the day before....
However, the buttons were linked to "lathyrus.eu" or another random non-UK address. I'm sure if I had clicked the buttons, I would've exploded and my PC would've eaten my remains.

David Jenkins - 22/3/19 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I'm getting spams at the moment that actually have an old password in the text, to apparently prove that I've been hacked and should pass over some of my hard earned.

Fall out from the LinkedIn hack a few years back.

I've had that one - quite convincing, but with enough technical errors to show that it was bogus (it spoke as though they had access to my PC, but mine's Linux and their language was quite wrong for that, relating to Windoze). Their English was excellent though.

miskit - 22/3/19 at 09:26 PM

I'm getting them from a forum that was hacked a few years ago... The Linux Mint forum to be precise!
As I use unique emails for everything I now just block anything sent to linuxmintforum@my root address.com

Seems to be the new Nigerian prince ! (other countries with deposed royalty are available)