Board logo

Polycarbonate windscreen
Nitrogeno25 - 15/6/14 at 04:50 PM

Can I use polycarbonate for a seven Windscreen? I heard it is not scratch resistant, so maybe a security film could help.

Is this safe? It seems to be much lighter than a glass windscreen.

Many thanks!

Regards

40inches - 15/6/14 at 05:06 PM

Margaurd (sp) polycarbonate is used on trains, this is scratch resistant.
When I checked Polycarbonate was dearer than laminated 6mm glass. I made a template out of 3mm MDF and took it to a local glass company, it cost me £25 cut in 6mm laminate. They charged by the area of glass.
Just noticed your location Polycarbonate is not allowed to be used for windscreens here.
Lexan Margard link

[Edited on 15-6-14 by 40inches]

jacko - 15/6/14 at 05:25 PM

We use Marguard at work and it will scratch + i don't think you are allowed to use it for windscreens
jacko

Canada EH! - 15/6/14 at 07:43 PM

If you wear polarized glasses don't use lexan, makes the window look like looking through oil on water, did it with my side windows on Cessna 140, had to take it out.

Slimy38 - 15/6/14 at 08:02 PM

It wouldn't pass an IVA, but since you're not in this hellhole of a country I'm guessing you don't have to worry about that!

Are you looking specifically for lightness? The screen on a seven isn't exactly huge, but if you're looking to save weight then the usual approach is a helmet with a fly screen or similar, rather than a full screen.

Nitrogeno25 - 16/6/14 at 01:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It wouldn't pass an IVA, but since you're not in this hellhole of a country I'm guessing you don't have to worry about that!

Are you looking specifically for lightness? The screen on a seven isn't exactly huge, but if you're looking to save weight then the usual approach is a helmet with a fly screen or similar, rather than a full screen.

Guys, many thanks for your replies. Over here there is not a problem using glass or polycarbonate, but I'm a little concerned about safety. As for the security film, there is clear an anti vandalism film made by 3M that I was thinking to use to avoid the scratches.

Thanks again!

Regards