Board logo

Paint Gelcote???
the_big_1 - 24/6/20 at 05:38 PM

hi Guys,

Is it possible to spray paint gel cote?

My panels gel cote is so thin, repairs are not possible. As soon as I touched it with wet and dry it changes to a lower colour.
I think I will need the nose and a side panel painted.

40inches - 24/6/20 at 07:14 PM

A good clean with acetone, sand with 120 grit, tack cloth, 2 coats etch primer, 3 coats top coat, and if you want 2 coats of clear
The system I used with rattle cans changing all the blue parts to black. No need to sand between coats if you wait about 30mins between each coat.

Description
Description
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Its%20Out

[Edited on 24-6-20 by 40inches]

the_big_1 - 24/6/20 at 07:25 PM

Will speak to my local body shop guy for the painting, tried and failed to many times painting lol
The prep I can do lol

Also a local company do wrapping to RAL colours and can match the colour. Wrap the nose and a side panel?

40inches - 24/6/20 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Will speak to my local body shop guy for the painting, tried and failed to many times painting lol
The prep I can do lol

Also a local company do wrapping to RAL colours and can match the colour. Wrap the nose and a side panel?

Why not?

the_big_1 - 24/6/20 at 09:57 PM

Will see what they say. Its the nose and right panel. If they can wrap it and its a perfect match all good, If not, a body shop paint of the two