Board logo

Toyo R888 are no more....here is the R888R
jeffw - 2/12/14 at 06:31 AM

New Toyo R888R for 2015, to replace the R888.

Press release states...

"Toyo Tire Europe GmbH is giving the new Proxes R888R track tyre its’ world debut at the Essen Motorshow in Germany, which opened today. The tyre, available during 2015, succeeds the Proxes R888. According to the company, the R888 has been used to win many championships, most recently the 2014 Toyota Sprint Series in the UK. Produced in 32 sizes initially, the new Proxes R888R is said to have a fast warm up time, increased dry grip and sustained performance over multiple laps and heat cycles. This is achieved using a rayon ‘super-high’ turn up ply on some sizes coupled with steel side plies to give the new Proxes R888R precise steering response and feedback"
http://www.toyo.co.uk/news/item/id/8675

Looks like it will cope better in heavy rain.

[Edited on 2/12/14 by jeffw]

bi22le - 2/12/14 at 08:25 AM

I just hope the price comes down. Or to be more realistic, does not go through the roof.

loggyboy - 2/12/14 at 09:18 AM

Link errors for me.

corrected
http://www.toyo.co.uk/news/item/id/8675

[Edited on 2-12-14 by loggyboy]

jeffw - 2/12/14 at 10:12 AM

adithorp - 2/12/14 at 10:43 AM

Looks good but... the tread seems to be asymetrical (inside/outside edges) but ALSO appears to be directional ??? That would mean there had to be left and right hand patterns ???

I wonder if they're E marked? Yoko A048 are losing their E mark next year (don't meet noise/emmisions limits) and will be marked "for competition use only" according to some stuff I've read on the RGB drivers forum (who've been told this by Yoko).

jeffw - 2/12/14 at 11:08 AM

I did wonder about the left/right thing. It will be interesting to see if they are road-legal, I presume they are hence why they have replaced the R888 at this point.

Jenko - 2/12/14 at 11:27 AM

Do they have to be 'e' marked for the road?. I can see why this would be an issue getting through IVA, but how about MOT's...do they check for e marking as well as legal tread depth?.

jeffw - 2/12/14 at 11:40 AM

If it isn't E marked it will say 'Not for Road Use' or 'Competition Use Only'

Jenko - 2/12/14 at 11:49 AM

OK, but is that something that the MOT can pull you up on?. I can't remember seeing them checking writing on the tyres. I suppose that leads on to what the police would say if they stopped you.....

loggyboy - 2/12/14 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Looks good but... the tread seems to be asymetrical (inside/outside edges) but ALSO appears to be directional ??? That would mean there had to be left and right hand patterns ???

The latest Uniroyal rainsport3s are like this, but don't have handed options, they are just treated as Asymmetric. Seemed odd but ive got them on the wifes car and not noticed any imbalance issues on road, even with some enthusiastic driving.

keithjardine - 2/12/14 at 12:14 PM

Does a wear marker signify that it is a road legal tyre?

MikeRJ - 2/12/14 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

The latest Uniroyal rainsport3s are like this, but don't have handed options, they are just treated as Asymmetric. Seemed odd but ive got them on the wifes car and not noticed any imbalance issues on road, even with some enthusiastic driving.

Same as the old Vredestein Sessanta. Asymmetric but not directional, even though it looks like it.

jeffw - 2/12/14 at 12:53 PM

Actually the asymmetry isn't an issue....mentally turn it over...

jeffw - 2/12/14 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
OK, but is that something that the MOT can pull you up on?. I can't remember seeing them checking writing on the tyres. I suppose that leads on to what the police would say if they stopped you.....

Non-E marked tyres will be illegal for road use. So MoT failure, Insurance Issues in the event of an accident, Summons/Points for illegal tyres etc. It would be no different to using Slicks on the road.

adithorp - 2/12/14 at 01:29 PM

yeah there's a few asymetric tread ptterns that appear directional but aren't. Avon zz5 is I think as well as those others have mentioned. These just looked even more directional though, if that makes sence.

Problem with non-E marked would be, should you have an acciden, tyres are the first thing an insurance assesor looks at. MOT testers would probably miss it.

Myke 2463 - 2/12/14 at 04:11 PM

R1R and R888 still available from ( NTDWM )

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/p=1/toyo/r=1/195-50-r15

adithorp - 2/12/14 at 04:22 PM

R1R would be great, but they don't do them in 13" (fingers crossed they do the r888r in 13"

Not supprised 888 is still available as they've only just announced it's succesor. I'd guess even once the new one is released there'll be old stock being sold of the original for a while.

[Edited on 2/12/14 by adithorp]

OliilO - 2/12/14 at 04:45 PM

Are they going to continue making the R1R or is that going to be discontinued and replaced too?

danny keenan - 2/12/14 at 06:36 PM

Adi

Il call Toyo tomorrow and get some news on the new tyre.
I will post the info on here with price and sizes

Thanks Danny

adithorp - 2/12/14 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by danny keenan
Adi

Thanks Danny

Nice one!

jeffw - 31/12/14 at 07:42 AM

So it looks like the R1R and R888 are ceased, to be replaced by the R888R. This has to do with EU label and fuel efficiency, all these 1B tyres are G (the worse) which are now no longer legal to sell (ie new stock not old stock).

Avon are replacing the CR500 with the ZZS (http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-legal/performance/zzs) and there are new versions of the ZZR. A number of Avon tyres are exempt from the regulations as you are only allow to fit them to vehicles registered before 1990 (historical exemption).

rodgling - 31/12/14 at 11:40 AM

Sizes are given here:

Looks good for me, 205/225 in 15". And a couple of sizes for people running 13" too. I guess more sizes will come later.

adithorp - 31/12/14 at 05:41 PM

Good to see they're still doing the 13's.

jps - 31/12/14 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Non-E marked tyres will be illegal for road use.

I'm fairly sure this is not correct. Tyres sold in the UK for road use have to be e-marked but the legal requirement for use is about the construction, condition etc. E mark is just a convenient way of demonstrating the construction is adequate. There has been much complaint in the road rally world about recent moves to require that competitors run e-marked tyres on events in Wales...

[Edited on 31/12/14 by jps]

bi22le - 31/12/14 at 07:48 PM

And offering a 14". All i need now is for them to not rocket the price.

jeffw - 31/12/14 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Non-E marked tyres will be illegal for road use.

I'm fairly sure this is not correct. Tyres sold in the UK for road use have to be e-marked but the legal requirement for use is about the construction, condition etc. E mark is just a convenient way of demonstrating the construction is adequate. There has been much complaint in the road rally world about recent moves to require that competitors run e-marked tyres on events in Wales...

[Edited on 31/12/14 by jps]

All tyres must carry an EEC 30 or EEC 108 ‘E’
mark. It is illegal to supply for public highway use new
or part-worn tyres that are not ‘E’ or ‘e’ marked tyres (ie
marked in accordance with requirements of EEC
Regulation 30, 30.1, 30.2 or EC Directive 92/23). This
includes VR and ZR tyres (previously exempt).
All new tyres sold from 01.11.2012 must be labelled in
accordance with EU Reg 1222/2009
All new tyres produced after 01.11.2014 must be
marked in accordance with UNECE Regulation 117
(ie carry S, W and R markings)

List 1b tyres

Clubs wishing to use these tyres
in events or championships must
apply in writing to the MSA, and
SRs must provide for their use.
These tyres are prohibited for
Production Car racing.
Some tyres below are available
in compounds which are not
E-marked. Only those tyres below
that are E-marked are valid.
It is prohibited to re-groove tyres in
this lis

dhutch - 6/1/15 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by danny keenan

Any news on prices?

danny keenan - 6/1/15 at 05:32 PM

I will update on prices tomorrow sorry iv been doing a new website

Thanks Danny

cloudy - 7/1/15 at 03:24 PM

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2015/01/07/toyo-tires-r888r-ultra-high-performance-road-and-track-tyre/

"The ‘GG’ compound of the new tyre has made it onto the approved tyre list for road legality, but also, Toyo has managed to have the even grippier ‘SG’ compound approved in certain sizes. This super-sticky compound has proven to be a huge seller in sprintand hill-climb markets in the past, and is particularly popular with lightweight cars like the Caterham and Westfield."

Neadles - 10/1/15 at 09:16 PM

So while I was at Autosport International today I spoke to the guys at Toyo to get some first hand information and this is what I was told;

The R888 will still be avalaible until 2016 when the law chances, so will be slowly phased in over the year as they release more sizes, it is as stated above road legal and on the 1B list.

Throughout their life the feed back has been about some issues with rolling of the sidewalls and the tendency to go off towards the end of a 15min race or so, so the new R888R has a stronger sidewall and 16% greater foot print to help it last longer. It has been tested on a few tintops in race conditions with good feed back in the dry and wet. (forgot who had tested it they did say)

But the down side a 3% price rise.

Thought I would say before I forgot

PS good show, my first time made me want to sell the road fury and go for some RGB fun

daniel mason - 10/1/15 at 09:49 PM

Just sprint/ hillclimb the fury! Nice and cheap and pretty relaxed atmosphere

chrisbeale - 14/3/15 at 11:43 AM

Ive just spent the last few hours searching for some new tyres. I have R888's currently fitted, and cant find them in my size anywhere. Cant even find anything that looks the same. I have 185/60/R14s
Any Help would be much appreciated. I got it through the MOT with a smile and a promise.

Ugg10 - 14/3/15 at 11:51 AM

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m115b0s702p0/Track_Day_Tyres_-_Trackday_Tyres_-_Motorsport_Tyres_-_14_inch_R14_inch_-_185_60_14_185_60R14

Nangkangs seem to be getting reasonable reviews, particukarly at the price. Not used them though.