Board logo

Mot rules question.... warning lights
tegwin - 1/9/18 at 02:13 PM

I am aware the wording changed recently but not sure what that means.

My van has a low oil pressure warning on the dashboard flashing . It’s a faulty sensor which is on order. Will this warning light fail the mot or prevent the test being conducted?

Mr Whippy - 1/9/18 at 02:31 PM

I don't think so, as you won't fail for the engine management light being on but will probably get an advisory

[Edited on 1/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

Angel Acevedo - 1/9/18 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I am aware the wording changed recently but not sure what that means.

My van has a low oil pressure warning on the dashboard flashing . It’s a faulty sensor which is on order. Will this warning light fail the mot or prevent the test being conducted?

Does MOT requires a high power motor run?
If so, I would think they will confirm in some manner that they wont be held responsible if the engine goes bang...

tegwin - 1/9/18 at 03:10 PM

I don’t see why, other than driving the van into the Ramps that they would be revving the balls of it...!?

Angel Acevedo - 1/9/18 at 03:13 PM

I´m from Mexico, not familiar with MOT procedure.

black fingernail - 1/9/18 at 04:20 PM

I seem to remember a disclaimer was required so the nuts could be revved off of diesel engines, so the emissions could be tested, I don't know if this is still done.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 1/9/18 at 04:55 PM

Engine management light on is now a failure as for your oil warning light they could refuse to do the mot or emissions test as they need to rev the engine for the emissions test .

froggy - 1/9/18 at 04:56 PM

Regardless of any waver the test station is liable for any damage caused from an emissions test , if it’s one of the vans that won’t rev when stationary i doubt many places would worry about the warning light if there’s oil on the dipstick .

rusty nuts - 1/9/18 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
Engine management light on is now a failure as for your oil warning light they could refuse to do the mot or emissions test as they need to rev the engine for the emissions test .

The above should apply! A lad I worked with got a warning from VOSA even though the customer told the VOSA inspector he wanted his van tested so he knew what work needed doing

obfripper - 1/9/18 at 10:18 PM

Is it a fiat qubo/fiorino/citroen nemo/peugeot bipper or other fiat derived van?
If so, the flashing light is indicating that the oil has reached the end of its service life (due to dpf operation) and needs changing.
If it is not due a service and has not done too many miles since last oil change, it may be that the oil degradation value has not been reset in the engine management when serviced - this is separate to the service indicator and requires a suitable diagnostic tool to perform.

It's a usual for these vans to turn up for mot with flashing oil lights, so long as the engine has oil and doesn't have camchain rattle i would test them as presented.

Dave

obfripper - 1/9/18 at 10:41 PM

Just to add, i have had several that have prematurely brought this light on, due to the dpf differential pressure sensor pipework being split and so the dpf being in permenent regeneration which significantly reduces the oil life.
It is the flexible section of hose underneath the fuel pump area that splits, and requires a heat resistant hose to replace.

Dave

tegwin - 2/9/18 at 09:25 AM

Thanks for the comments chaps.

its a 2.5TDI VW T5 Transporter.... It is due an oil service... not sure how the oil pressure warning is derived but I am assuming its just a pre-set oil pressure switch rather than anything fancy that is counting oil quality....

Perhaps the sensible thing here is to just get it dealt with before i MOT.... Ive already booked and paid for the MOT but hey ho.. its only 23 quid...

obfripper - 2/9/18 at 12:09 PM

In that case it is the oil pressure switch, it does have an oil level/quality sensor but that will illuminate the oil pressure lamp orange for low level and reduces the service interval if the oil is below spec.

Dave

MikeRJ - 2/9/18 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by froggy
Regardless of any waver the test station is liable for any damage caused from an emissions test ,

That needs to be qualified. The test station is only liable if they did not exercise reasonable diligence. Revving the nuts of a diesel engine without checking oil levels or ascertaining the service history would not showing due diligence, but they would not be liable for an otherwise unanticipated engine failure.

froggy - 2/9/18 at 01:05 PM

The procedure is to ask the presenter if the vehicle has been properly maintained which isn’t practical . Had this discussion with a few different examiners and the answers the same . Only difference now is you can refuse to test if there’s excessive smoke before the emissions test is carried out . I stopped asking a long time ago as it just comes across as scaremongering fishing for Cambelt work