Board logo

ST170 Midlana Build Diary
the Doug - 13/5/20 at 10:53 AM

Hello all,

I'm new to the Locost Builders Forum. I am scratch building a Midlana with ST170 lump and six speed box.

I'm no stranger to a bit of metal fabrication so I feel I have made decent progress in the last 12 months. At this point I'd just like to show pictures of my build. Hope you like it...

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 11:05 AM

I'm have trouble uploading pics, sorry for being a noob. There's pics on my instagram search - midlanaduratec

liam.mccaffrey - 13/5/20 at 11:42 AM

Looks like you got further along with yours than I have!
Following on instagram with interest

Good luck
Liam Mc

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Looks like you got further along with yours than I have!
Following on instagram with interest

Good luck
Liam Mc

Thankyou, Also I'm now on the Midlana Forum, Thanks for your interest.

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 04:08 PM

I never got very far either.

I would love to see your progress. To upload them her you have to resize them manually to something like 150kb first.

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 04:21 PM

Picture Uploads test

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I never got very far either.

I would love to see your progress. To upload them her you have to resize them manually to something like 150kb first.

Big wasa... I'm so glad you are interested because I need your help. The next stage in the build is getting the engine running. I wish to use the stock OEM ecu and wiring harness. Problem is, I'm a total noob when it comes to electrics. I have seen your thread on "stripping back" the OEM harness to only the minimum to get the engine running, this is path I want to take.

MikeR - 13/5/20 at 06:20 PM

You've come to the right place.

Whilst you wait for big Wasa, t might be an idea to add your aproximate location. You may have a friendly locoster nearby who'll pop round to lend a hand or encouragement.

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Whilst you wait for big Wasa, t might be an idea to add your aproximate location. You may have a friendly locoster nearby who'll pop round to lend a hand or encouragement.

Agreed, I'm near Mansfield, NOTTS

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 07:01 PM

Very cool.

Having got that far is no small feat. There is an immense amount of work getting a roller. I estimated 10x that of a Locost.

The engine I had for mine, I put it in a Locost. I started it for the first time today. Turbo Zetec on Oem Ford ecu.

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 07:20 PM

Thanks It has been allot of grinding and TIG welding. My neighbours are now fully accustomed to the industrial noises coming from my garage

That's a sweet setup you have there Wasa! And a turbo on a factory ECU? Focus RS ECU and turbo maybe?

Noob alert! - I will need help with my wiring for sure. Could you provide a noob friendly, general overview of what is required to produce a "stripped back" loom for the ST170 engine. I'm keen to learn. Any help is much appreciated.

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 08:19 PM

I am not planning on going any where any time soon.
Have you read through a few of the threads ?

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 08:30 PM

I really fancied putting this in the back.

the Doug - 13/5/20 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Have you read through a few of the threads ?

I have, I should probably mention that currently my engine has no guts in it (pistons, crank etc). I need to build it up first before I tackle the wiring of course. I was just thinking I could do my research into the wiring whilst I have time on my hands. Plus I need to acquire an ECU and other associated parts needed, because (rather foolishly) I never salvaged any other bits from the donor car other than the engine and box.

That engine would be brilliant in a Midlana! You may have to modify/lengthen the rear section of the chassis from the original drawings to package everything in. There's a guy (Chris S) on the Midlana forum who has built one with an Alfa V6. Worth a look.

[Edited on 13/5/20 by the Doug]

[Edited on 13/5/20 by the Doug]

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 08:39 PM

Most of the bits are pretty cheap. Not as cheap as before I posted the info mind

Only real exception is the Imrc they hold there money. The mk2 v6 Mondeo also has an Imrc. Have a look on the Focus Fb for sale pages for bits.

big_wasa - 13/5/20 at 08:41 PM

I was on there but I haven't looked for a bit. My build diary probably fell of the page.

kingster996 - 13/5/20 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the Doug
There's a guy (Chris S) on the Midlana forum who has built one with an Alfa V6. Worth a look.

Indeed, Chris is also on the WSCC forum and has a build thread on there too. Superb work and a great read!

the Doug - 30/8/20 at 08:30 PM

This project is now for sale

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=217318

big_wasa - 31/8/20 at 07:40 AM

I would have loved to have seen it finished and at a show.

the Doug - 31/8/20 at 08:39 AM

Fear not, when things are a bit more settled I'll start building something else, I have lots of ideas, too many projects and not enough time and money.