Board logo

Well, that was a bonus!
David Jenkins - 13/9/12 at 07:34 PM

My wife and I decided to take a walk along Shotley marina yesterday (it's in the same estuary as Harwich and Felixstowe).

It was a bit cloudy, but we could hear a fairly loud propeller aircraft somewhere overhead. We kept looking, and all of a sudden a war-plane appeared at around 1000ft. Couldn't work out what it was until it did a wide turn - then we could see that it was a Spitfire!

It came down to around 500ft and proceeded to do a display over the Felixstowe area - loops, spins, low passes - for a good 5 minutes. Although it was a fair distance away it was still an impressive sight. The final pass along the shore line at approximately 200ft was really impressive.

Nothing like a free show to cheer you up!

daniel mason - 13/9/12 at 07:43 PM

i watched red arrows at morecambe last week. awesome!

rusty nuts - 13/9/12 at 07:45 PM

Even more impressive than a Spitfire was the Vulcan that was flying over Duxford on Saturday

Wheels244 - 13/9/12 at 07:55 PM

Spitfires = awesome

They give me goosebumps when I hear them live.
They make me fiercely proud to be British.

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Wheels244]

ashg - 13/9/12 at 08:39 PM

i was at duxford on sat was a really good show this year and fantastic weather too

couple of my picts

Daddylonglegs - 13/9/12 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Spitfires = awesome

They give me goosebumps when I hear them live.
They make me fiercely proud to be British.

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Wheels244]

Ditto!

scudderfish - 13/9/12 at 08:54 PM

Meh! Overrated hangar queen. Give me a Hurricane any day

ashg - 13/9/12 at 09:36 PM

here you go then as you lot seem interested.

chillis - 13/9/12 at 09:54 PM

few years ago around midday one weekday a spit was practising just about over my house, couldn't believe how noisy it was. Was on the nightshift at the time so woke up suddenly none too impressed.

Wheels244 - 13/9/12 at 09:57 PM

Great pictures

Proby - 13/9/12 at 10:23 PM

Great shots there Ash, very impressed. What did you shoot them with?

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Proby due to either fat fingers or home brew]

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Proby]

se7en - 13/9/12 at 10:24 PM

Some VERY nice pictures.

The Red Arrows scared my grandkids last week on their way back from Derry Airshow. They flew so low the house shook as they passed by.

ashg - 14/9/12 at 05:41 AM

Took the photos with my canon SLR with a 70-200L series lens.

rf900rush - 14/9/12 at 06:16 AM

Wet to Wings and wheels at Dunsfold a few weeks back.

Great day out.
Red Arrows, Spitfire, Vulcan , Tornado's and more

My youngest have a personal tour of a Hawk.

kipper - 14/9/12 at 07:29 AM

I get that sort of thing every day here at work. The real aeroplane company is based on the old Breighton airfield which the company I work for owns.
German tri-planes, mustangs, Yaks, and allsorts of lovely old kites.
Friday afternoons in summer means a good display when the guys are practising for the weekend shows.
The museum is well worth a look.
They also have wings and wheels weekends twice a year.
Denis.

mcerd1 - 14/9/12 at 08:10 AM

ok its not free, but I should see most of those (and some extra's) tomorrow

http://www.airshow.co.uk/displays/flying

scudderfish - 14/9/12 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
few years ago around midday one weekday a spit was practising just about over my house, couldn't believe how noisy it was. Was on the nightshift at the time so woke up suddenly none too impressed.

I grew up in Chester and every Summer the DH Mosquito that was based at the British Aerospace site near by used to tool around in the sky over my house at a few hundred feet a few times a year. Now that was a lovely noise... It was a sad day when it crashed.

jeffw - 14/9/12 at 08:54 AM

I used to live in Lee-on-Solent and we had the Sea Fury from HMS Daedalus over head often. Great noise. They had a Phantom F4K squadron based there when I was younger as well.....

Humbug - 14/9/12 at 10:46 AM

Hopefully should see a few of that type of thing tomorrow at Goodwood

scudderfish - 14/9/12 at 12:02 PM

ditchlewis - 14/9/12 at 01:24 PM

david

have you not noticed the P51 that practises over us? it live raydon way and he plays around quite a bit?

ditch

richard thomas - 14/9/12 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Highly impressive, and incredibly irresponsible!!!!

David Jenkins - 14/9/12 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
david

have you not noticed the P51 that practises over us? it live raydon way and he plays around quite a bit?

ditch

yes! And every year a pair of them zoom around as well.

Proby - 15/9/12 at 08:29 AM

That ilopango video is awesome !

rusty nuts - 16/9/12 at 01:23 AM

Thats nothing, I was in Belguim a few years ago around 1987 at a parachute boogie in place called MorselyIIRC We had a Hercules do flypast at the end of the event lower than that followed by a DH Caribou that was 6 ft (six feet) off the ground . Most of the jumpers I was withh ended up flat on the floor

Ivan - 16/9/12 at 07:09 AM

I would love to see (and hear) some of those old WW2 planes flying - never having done so in my 62 years. They are few and far between here in South Africa.

The closest I have come to such planes is playing in an old Typhoon that was scrapped for it's engine, used to drive ventilation fans in an underground diamond mine outside Kimberley.

scudderfish - 16/9/12 at 11:51 AM

How about this?

rusty nuts - 16/9/12 at 12:34 PM

Still a lot higher than the DH Caribou

rusty nuts - 16/9/12 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I would love to see (and hear) some of those old WW2 planes flying - never having done so in my 62 years. They are few and far between here in South Africa.

The closest I have come to such planes is playing in an old Typhoon that was scrapped for it's engine, used to drive ventilation fans in an underground diamond mine outside Kimberley.

If you ever get to the UK Ivan make sure you check out the Imperial War Museum at Duxford . I live a couple of miles away and we get to see regular airshows from our back garden

David Jenkins - 16/9/12 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

If you ever get to the UK Ivan make sure you check out the Imperial War Museum at Duxford . I live a couple of miles away and we get to see regular airshows from our back garden

Last time I was at Duxford I saw a Catalena flying boat take off - astonishingly slow-flying!

Time before that we were walking back to our car after our visit when we heard a jet start up... we heard on the BBC news later that they had tried to take off with a Russian (I think) jet fighter, and had to dump it in a field just ahead of the runway. Both people on board got out relatively unharmed, thankfully.

rusty nuts - 16/9/12 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

Last time I was at Duxford I saw a Catalena flying boat take off - astonishingly slow-flying!

Time before that we were walking back to our car after our visit when we heard a jet start up... we heard on the BBC news later that they had tried to take off with a Russian (I think) jet fighter, and had to dump it in a field just ahead of the runway. Both people on board got out relatively unharmed, thankfully.

There was a Yak land on the M11 a few years ago IIRC one of the guys in the plane ejected and survived but the other stayed with the plane and died