Board logo

Line Boring Crank Bearings
obr_technology - 28/9/15 at 07:06 PM

Hi,

I need to get my crankcase line bored on the crank bearings.

Does anyone know what sort of price I should be paying for this? I'm planning on using my local engine shop but haven't had it done before so no idea what to expect to pay.

Thanks

Olly

DIY Si - 28/9/15 at 07:18 PM

You might find it cheaper to buy a different engine! Last time I asked about this in a machine shop, they said we can do it, but unless the engine is made of precious metals, it's cheaper to start over.

What engine is yours?

Also, why does it need line boring? It's usually the crank that needs work rather than the block.

[Edited on 28/9/15 by DIY Si]

obr_technology - 28/9/15 at 07:27 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The crankcase is made from 7075 alloy so fairly precious! It's a zx9 v8 I've been working on for some time, but the case was machined by one shop and the bearings caps by another so the intention was always to line bore once assembled.

The guys who did the crankcase we're going to do the line boring, but are some distance away from me and are only outsourcing the work so easier every for me to get it done locally.

Adamirish - 28/9/15 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obr_technology
Thanks for the reply.

The crankcase is made from 7075 alloy so fairly precious! It's a zx9 v8 I've been working on for some time, but the case was machined by one shop and the bearings caps by another so the intention was always to line bore once assembled.

The guys who did the crankcase we're going to do the line boring, but are some distance away from me and are only outsourcing the work so easier every for me to get it done locally.

An pics of the build? If it's anything like the hayabusa v8 it will be amazing.

obr_technology - 28/9/15 at 07:44 PM

I'll try and get some up soon, have been hesitant as I don't take feedback well and some people on forums (or even at shows) can be very 'honest'! I remember being at a show with my old car which I'd supercharged by making all the manifolds/brackets etc myself. A guy came up to me and proceeded to tell me what I'd done wrong with it, to which I replied 'have you supercharged your car and driven it here?' which seemed to shut him up!

To cut a long story short I'll post loads of pics up once it is running, but until then it's under wraps!

I've got a Facebook page where I keep friends updated so if you are interested take a look, it's called OBR.

Adamirish - 28/9/15 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obr_technology
I'll try and get some up soon, have been hesitant as I don't take feedback well and some people on forums (or even at shows) can be very 'honest'! I remember being at a show with my old car which I'd supercharged by making all the manifolds/brackets etc myself. A guy came up to me and proceeded to tell me what I'd done wrong with it, to which I replied 'have you supercharged your car and driven it here?' which seemed to shut him up!

To cut a long story short I'll post loads of pics up once it is running, but until then it's under wraps!

I've got a Facebook page where I keep friends updated so if you are interested take a look, it's called OBR.

I absolutely understand 100%. To be honest, I don't blame you at all, Most forums are the same. I will have a look if you don't mind, I am in no position to say what you are or aren't doing wrong, I wouldn't have the first idea of where to start!

Good luck with the build I hope it all goes to plan, it is an awesome project. How many other people have chopped 2 bike engines up and made them into a V8? Just tell the haters to sod off!

obr_technology - 28/9/15 at 07:57 PM

Cheers mate.

I must admit half the time I wonder what the hell in doing, but started a new job 4 years ago which isn't technical at all so needed to keep the brain ticking over.

Once these bearings are line bored I've got all the CAD models ready to go on the remaining parts so should be running in the new year if all goes to plan!

Griff51 - 29/9/15 at 09:44 AM

The amount of work that has gone into creating the block as opposed to the bearing caps, for me regardless of distance is a no brainer! get the shop that did the block to do it.
Good luck with it all, a proper project.

obr_technology - 29/9/15 at 02:26 PM

Thanks, I think you might be on to something there!