Board logo

Zetec Inlet manifold
Barksavon - 19/8/17 at 07:55 AM

Has anyone modified the original plastic inlet manifold on a zetec engine to enable bike carbs or TB's to be fitted?
There's one for sale on e bay and wondered whether it would be worth modifying mine similar
Ian

fazerruss - 19/8/17 at 12:54 PM

If yours is the this type then no modification is required. Just respace your carbs or bodies to suit.

This one is for sale btw

[Edited on 19/8/17 by fazerruss]

cliftyhanger - 19/8/17 at 05:32 PM

Except the ports on the st and normal zetec are different and are in line. Some say it doesn't matter, but obviously it does!

I ported the sizeable tube ends where the silicone pipe slips over the inlet (fitted to an st170) and it took about half an hour using a die grinder and a burr.

Barksavon - 20/8/17 at 07:41 AM

The manifold I've got is from a ST170 and I've noticed two of the inlets are at a slight angle, does this cause any issues? Also my bike carbs are 38mm diameter and the manifold tubes are oval ,about 50mm at narrowest and 55mm widest, I'm thinking the silicon reducers 51 to 38 would by OK???

cliftyhanger - 20/8/17 at 09:33 AM

Check where the manifold meets the head. That is where the issue will be.

And knife-edge the end of the tubes as above. I guess fluoro-lined silicone reducers will work. Normal silicone is not petrol resistant, it needs to be fluoro-lined.

Barksavon - 20/8/17 at 06:24 PM

Will do...thanks