Board logo

Noisy Duratec
ibakes - 15/4/19 at 08:45 PM

Hi All

I have just rebuilt my Duratec 2.0 engine, it was stripped down cleaned and built back up with different cams.

However when it starts it sounds like a diesel, I have left it running for a while and the noise does die down as the oil gets pumped around the engine but it still sounds like it could be the tappets.

it sounds like the car in this video, however i am running bike throttle bodies so dont have the secondary butterfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gaD0TXOASQ

if anyone has any pointers on what i may have missed during the build or what else might be wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

flak monkey - 16/4/19 at 05:36 AM

Could be any number of things.

Duratec engines are known for knocking out big ends, did you check them for wear and clearance?

Could also be valve clearance, was it checked with the new cams? Duratec is solid lifters with shims.

Equally could be something simple like the aux belt tensioner. They rattle terribly if they are knackered, I replaced mine with a manual tensioner.

[Edited on 16/4/19 by flak monkey]

ibakes - 16/4/19 at 07:53 AM

Many thanks

Belt tensioners are new so are the big end bearings, and I think I am going to need to check the valve clearance for the new cams.

This seemed to keep coming up last night with other searches.

thank you

[Edited on 16/4/19 by ibakes]

ibakes - 16/4/19 at 12:54 PM

looking around clearances are below

INLET 0.22mm to 0.28mm
EXHAUST 0.27mm to 0.33mm

If I need new buckets, where is best to get these from or is there a better type to go with?

flak monkey - 16/4/19 at 12:58 PM

Burton or Ford. Think I bought mine from Cosworth.

It's a nightmare of a job as you need to measure the clearances and then take them all out to get the sizes and then work out if you can use any of them to correct any that are wrong and then order what you need.

I have a spreadsheet somewhere where you punch in your current clearances and bucket sizes and it tells you what to move and what to buy.

I also have a few different sized ones here. Will dig them out and check the sizes.

ibakes - 16/4/19 at 04:38 PM

that's great thank you, long weekend coming up so gives me something to do.

neilp1 - 16/4/19 at 06:20 PM

I bought mine from Ford. Just as cheap as Burtons

snapper - 16/4/19 at 06:23 PM

+1 for a copy of the spreadsheet pls

flak monkey - 16/4/19 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
+1 for a copy of the spreadsheet pls

If I can find it I'll upload it somewhere! Need to dig through my archives!