Board logo

do you think an essex dizzy will replace this?
blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 09:52 PM

OK, so may be a trick question, but i want to know if anyone's thinking what i'm thinking, so, what do you think it is, and once i get the answer i want, i'll tell you what i think, and you tell me if it'll work. simple

distributor
distributor

[Edited on 13/3/07 by blakep82]

ned - 13/3/07 at 09:55 PM

I'm thinking 4 3/4 inches isn't long enough, what are you thinking?

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 09:59 PM

i'm thinking its not the size, its what you do with it, at least thats my excuse

er, yeah, anyway, its from a ford, i'll give you that much

stevec - 13/3/07 at 10:03 PM

Henry V6?

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 10:05 PM

it a ford V6, yes, but i'm looking for a particular one... not easy i know...

stevec - 13/3/07 at 10:11 PM

Essex engine Motorcraft type dizzy?

[Edited on 13/3/07 by stevec]

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Essex ?

you get the prize! Its actually not from an essex at all, but was hoping for that answer!

here's an essex [img][/img]

and a cologne
ford dist 2
ford dist 2

the truth is, the first one came from an american Vulcan V6 from a ford aerostar (also fitted to rangers) but they are all EFI, i want a carb, so looking for a strong contender for replacement distributor.

what do you think are the chances?

[Edited on 13/3/07 by blakep82]

stevec - 13/3/07 at 10:17 PM

sorry added a bit while you were replying.
Steve.

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 10:17 PM

just realise, cologne also seems to have the gears the wrong way around on the bottom...

Mr G - 13/3/07 at 10:20 PM

2.8 mfi's had a geared drive, whereas the 2.9 efi's used a chain so shaft rotation is in the opposite direction.

MikeRJ - 13/3/07 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
the truth is, the first one came from an american Vulcan V6 from a ford aerostar (also fitted to rangers) but they are all EFI, i want a carb, so looking for a strong contender for replacement distributor.

Ditch the clockwork and fit a Megajolt system? The Ford EDIS module is available for V6's, all you need to do is attach a trigger wheel, VR sensor and coil pack to it. You get to fit a carb, and benefit from optimisied ignition timing.

[Edited on 13/3/07 by MikeRJ]

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Ditch the clockwork and fit a Megajolt system? The Ford EDIS module is available for V6's, all you need to do is attach a trigger wheel, VR sensor and coil pack to it. You get to fit a carb, and benefit from optimisied ignition timing.

[Edited on 13/3/07 by MikeRJ]

I've seen people talking about megajolt on here, but never looked to see what its about

where do i get it? do i have to build it up myself? where do i find more info? I'm sure its been answered and asked (not in that order) many times, so please point me in the right direction

blakep82 - 13/3/07 at 11:01 PM

http://www.trigger-wheels.com sell a kit containing used EDIS-6 module, coil pack, sensor and connecting wiring for £80, trigger wheels are another £20.

I understand the engine should be able to run alone on this but without much spark control (advance etc) but will do to get it running, and i could add the megajolt at the end of the car build. just want the engine running for now basically...

[Edited on 14/3/07 by blakep82]

02GF74 - 14/3/07 at 07:32 AM

^^^^ I've been asking about this stuff, and you're right, froinm whgat I have learnt, that will get engine running at fixed advance, 10 degree.

The Megajolt takes sensor inputs and does magic to provide more advance as required.

blakep82 - 14/3/07 at 07:45 PM

does anyone know of a good uk supplier for both the ford V6 EDIS/crank wheel/sensor/etc set up, and also megajolt?

cng1 - 15/3/07 at 08:13 AM

Drop a line to trigger-wheels.com as they're now reselling megajolts.

Chris

blakep82 - 15/3/07 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cng1
Drop a line to trigger-wheels.com as they're now reselling megajolts.

Chris

wonder if they might do some kind of deal?

cng1 - 15/3/07 at 10:10 AM

quote:

wonder if they might do some kind of deal?

Could well be