Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Crank sensor
Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Crank sensor

I think I know the answer but it’s worth me checking before I pull the engine back out…..

I went to fit the crank sensor last night only to discover the bracket to mount it is not on the engine! Looking at pictures on the web it looks like this is a gearbox and flywheel off job to fit it – I’m assuming there’s no alternative?

Thanks

Daf

r1_pete

posted on 6/12/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you mean the disc it fits in, I'm 99% sure it fits from the outside, you can just make it out on this grubby picture of my old blacktop, the bolt above the sensor secures it. Note, they are different on engines from auto trans models.

starter2
starter2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
This is the pic I was going off

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/4drzx2/GEDC0011.jpg

BaileyPerformance

posted on 6/12/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
The ally crank sensor bracket fits from the flywheel side only, single bolt.

The sensor fits from the engine side.

I've left it out before, nightmare !

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 6/12/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly, for you, I'm 100% sure it fits from the flywheel side. Engine out job. And it's a flywheel off job too.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 6/12/13 by Dusty]

r1_pete

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to mislead I stand corrected

Its a few years since I had anything to do with Zetecs...

Still have some odd bits knocking about, let me know if you don't get a disc, I'll search the old parts boxes.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Stupidly, I rebuilt my engine with the sensor housing in position. But, the automatic and manual housings are different I believe. Is there any way of checking which sensor housing I've got? Part number? Picture of the two options?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I thought as much - It's not the first time I've done something like this - I but a 'box back on a BMW without a release bearing once!

Does anyone have a spare one in exchange for some beer money, or the part no so I can get bent over by Ford!

r1_pete

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Manual disc is almost flush with the engine case as per my pic above, auto stands proud about 15 - 20mm

Auto Version

scimjim

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I think I'd look at fabricating something to fit from the outside before I took the engine and box out!?
Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
I think I'd look at fabricating something to fit from the outside before I took the engine and box out!?

This has crossed my mind - does anyone have any good suggestions?

scimjim

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd use an original part - cut off the flange that sits inside the bellhousing (orientation and depth are vital though) and fab a method of mounting from the outside - or bond it into the engine block permanently?
Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
I'd use an original part - cut off the flange that sits inside the bellhousing (orientation and depth are vital though) and fab a method of mounting from the outside - or bond it into the engine block permanently?

It's the depth and position I'm worried about - as you said they are vital. I think for the sake of a couple of hours pulling the lump out and re-fitting I'll go for the safe option and use the proper part.

RichardK

posted on 6/12/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you -is that the part number on the bottom right?
RichardK

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, here is one on the bay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ford-Mondeo-1-Sensor-928F-6K341-AF-/290465540805

[Edited on 6/12/13 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Daf

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cool - thank you everyone, ordered one from ford for £8
f100zetec

posted on 5/6/18 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Crank sensor mount for auto box

Hi all,

I am doing the opposite of what most are doing and putting an auto gearbox on a ford zetec blacktop 1.8L.

I put everything together and didn't realise the sensor mounts were different :/

The engine obviously would not run, so I ordered what I thought was the auto mount from ebay (98MF-6K341-BD) but after pulling the gearbox back last night isn't the part as it's too big.

On this thread i know RichardK posted a photo with the part number for the manual version which is 928F-6K341-AF but he didn't put the part number for the auto version...

Does anyone know the part number for the auto version or even better have one that they want to sell me?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.