Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 30 / Jag V6 bare weight kg??
big_wasa

posted on 19/3/21 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I weighed my 5 spd at 47 kg with no oil on the bathroom scales.
spegru

posted on 20/3/21 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I just retested the gearbox on some other scales and got 42.6kg. There is no oil in it though.
Not sure of the oil capacity, but I doubt it's going to be enough to make the difference.
I can't explain this......

mgb281

posted on 21/3/21 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Is the 42 kg one a post 2009 gearbox made by Mazda rather than Aisin?
spegru

posted on 21/3/21 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
It says Aisin on the side. Dont know the year ,,,
mgb281

posted on 21/3/21 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I built up a collection of RX8 gearboxes when they were £50 cheap and because I was putting one into a MGB I weighed both 5 & 6 speed versions and they were identical in weight. I also weighed the MGB OD gearbox and it was also 50kgs which is correct so my scales are accurate. It could just be a variation in year of manufacture.
big_wasa

posted on 21/3/21 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mine at 47kg that would include the prop shaft knuckle, slave cylinder, clutch fork, thrust bearing and gear shift minus the knob.
spegru

posted on 21/3/21 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
no propshaft, clutch fork, bearing or slave, but there is a gearlever without knob
(hmm I hadnt thought of the fork - that's a part i'll need)

EDIT: in fact the clutch fork and release bearing are fitted

[Edited on 21/3/21 by spegru]

[Edited on 22/3/21 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 22/3/21 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I received a delivery of a Jag Dual mass flywheel today. To my surprise the starter engages perfectly using the ebay adaptor plate. Why was I surprised? I don't know really!
The weight of the whole clutch assembly was ~20kg

big_wasa

posted on 22/3/21 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
what clutch plate will you use ?
I hate dual mass flywheels I’ve never bought one that wasn’t knackered

spegru

posted on 24/3/21 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ive bought a standard RX8 one off ebay. It might arrive tomorrow....

The dual mass flywheel seems ok, although I've no real experiencew with them. ~1cm rotational slack. Still it was cheap enough for a trial

By the way what you you use for a clutch slave cylinder considering the engine gets in the way of th standard one? I've got it fixed using just one of the two bolts right now but not that happy about it

[Edited on 24/3/21 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 25/3/21 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the RX8 clutch plate and it looks fine. Same diameter as the Jag/Ford one. Obviously it also fits the Mazda gearbox
This is what I bought: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-Centre-Plate-fits-MAZDA-RX8-1-3-03-to-12-13B-MSP-6-Speed-MTM-236mm-ADL/333845171192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&am p;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Pretty expensive I thought actually.....

But in order to assemble everything I need the flywheel bolt torque setting figure.

(Seems a nightmare to search for this and TBH the LB internal search function never works for me at all)

While I am at it I also need advice on slave cylinders and how to thread the oil filter take off/LH engine mounting

Advice appreciated

spegru

CosKev3

posted on 25/3/21 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
Ive got the RX8 clutch plate and it looks fine. Same diameter as the Jag/Ford one. Obviously it also fits the Mazda gearbox
This is what I bought: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-Centre-Plate-fits-MAZDA-RX8-1-3-03-to-12-13B-MSP-6-Speed-MTM-236mm-ADL/333845171192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&am p;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Pretty expensive I thought actually.....

But in order to assemble everything I need the flywheel bolt torque setting figure.

(Seems a nightmare to search for this and TBH the LB internal search function never works for me at all)

While I am at it I also need advice on slave cylinders and how to thread the oil filter take off/LH engine mounting

Advice appreciated

spegru

Slave cylinder I use a Mazda6 V6 one,you just need to remove some casting lines on the passenger side head of the AJ30.

Oil filter I use a remote set up,I've cut the engine mount up and welded on AN10 fittings.

spegru

posted on 25/3/21 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. Ive gone with 115 kg/m oiled with loctite - I hope thats sufficient: it's pretty tight!

For the slave I see on ebay some v6 types but there appear to have offset mounting holes? Could you provide slightly more detail? (or a link ;-) ?)
For the oil filter, is the AN30 the same as your typical Mocal setup? I was thinking of a double ended adaptor threaded into the alloy bit rather than welding... Actually It would be interesting toi see your LH engine mounting - Ive made up a steel box for the alloy thing, that bolts on in several places....

s

Oddified

posted on 25/3/21 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
For my remote oil take off, i used the Mocal plate and machined up a double ended adaptor stub (3/4" unf into the Mocal and M22 into the block). Whilst my engine is a the ST220 version of the duratec, the blocks are the same.
spegru

posted on 1/4/21 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Oddified (I'm following you on Youtube BTW)

[Edited on 1/4/21 by spegru]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.