Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Temp Sender Issues
ChrisJ15

posted on 9/10/18 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Temp Sender Issues

Hi, My Temp gauge always showed higher than the ECU temp (calibrated by me from original Duratec sender) but now goes off the scale.
Its a Smiths/Caerbont gauge and 120 DegC sender.
I had trouble earthing it effectivley as I created a fitting in the plastic housing on the end of my Duratec cylinder head.
So if possible I'd like to find a two wire equivalent sender to try initially to solve the earthing issues and see if thats the problem with the high reading.
Caerbont tell me my sender (TT3001-8N) is the same as VDO 120 DegC sender but unfortunatley VDO dont do a 1/8 NPT two wire (insulated return) sender.
So can anyone point me towards a 1/8 NPT 2 wire sender compatible with a Caerbont 120 Deg C gauge?
If there isnt such a beast I'd like to try and find if it was the sender or the gauge that failed before having to fit a larger fitting for another sender. So would anyone know how I can do that? I did try and test it with boling water but couldnt get any sensible readings.

CosKev3

posted on 10/10/18 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Koso use 2 wire 1/8NPT temp senders,not sure on compatibility though to your gauge
ChrisJ15

posted on 14/10/18 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for coming back.

The Koso senders are 0-150 so unlikley to be compatible with the gauge (0-120).

steve m

posted on 14/10/18 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
If your smiths temp guage is an old school one, (as mine is) then you must have a voltage stabilizer as well,
If not fitted, the guage will go full deflection

as per the following link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Gauges-BR1308-Voltage-Stabiliser-BHA4602-for-MGB-Negative-Earth-Cars/201677707081?epid=714578453&hash=item2ef4ed 9749:g:Q3kAAOSwgQ9Vp1~8:rk:1:pf:0

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ChrisJ15

posted on 18/10/18 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I certainly hope not. Its a ICT1-1452-01B and Invoice said ''12V Water Temp' so assumed would just work with the Smiths sender I bought at the same time.
Does pretty much go straight off the end of the scale as soon as the engine begins to warm up.
Frustrating as I dont know for sure if its the gauge or the sender.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.