Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG 1.8T 20v engine swap - Need info
Al3xG

posted on 11/12/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
VAG 1.8T 20v engine swap - Need info

Hello all,
I'm planning to swap a VAG 1.8T 20v engine in my Westfield on next winter (I'm keeping it as is for the next summer as I just bought it and I wanna enjoy it a bit as is). I did a lot of research but still have doubts.
I'm gonna use the T9 that's mounted currently, with the bellhousing kit from RWD Motorsport.
However this engine has lots of variants and I was wondering if anyone has done the same (I've seen a few 7 chassis with this engine on Youtube) and can advise on the best one to get for the swap.
My guess is longitudinal variants (like AEB engine code) as used on A4/Passat may be the easiest to begin with, but transverse engines are much more common and cheap, and they seem easy to convert to longitudinal mounting.
Also, I'm not sure if the earlier 058 engine blocks (with external water pump) may be easier to fit than the later 06A blocks (with internal water pump).
Hopefully there is someone on this board which has done the same and has got some experience
Thanks

Noshest

posted on 11/12/19 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Westfield with a AEB (058) engine, have friends with the 06A, no big difference. Had to modify the mount for the alternator a bit to squeeze it in otherwise than that straight fit. Gearbox type 9.
Al3xG

posted on 11/12/19 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noshest
I've got a Westfield with a AEB (058) engine, have friends with the 06A, no big difference. Had to modify the mount for the alternator a bit to squeeze it in otherwise than that straight fit. Gearbox type 9.

Thank you for the reply. What adapter are you using to bolt the Type9 on the engine? With which flywheel and clutch?
Is your car left or right hand drive?

[Edited on 11/12/19 by Al3xG]

Noshest

posted on 11/12/19 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bell housing from Tigersportscars (Dutch) they went out of business years ago
Custom lightweight flywheel 3.8 Kg from DLI
Pressure plate Sachs ZF M228
Clutch plate Sachs ZF 228TD

This will cope with 260 WHp and 300 WNm and more

Its a leftie

[Edited on 11/12/19 by Noshest]

Al3xG

posted on 12/12/19 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bell housing from Tigersportscars (Dutch) they went out of business years ago
Custom lightweight flywheel 3.8 Kg from DLI
Pressure plate Sachs ZF M228
Clutch plate Sachs ZF 228TD

This will cope with 260 WHp and 300 WNm and more

Its a leftie

[Edited on 11/12/19 by Noshest]

Thanks for the details
How about ground clearance? Did you use the standard AEB sump or did you modify it?

Noshest

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Standard still, keep some spare ones, speed bumps kills sumps, ground clearance around 9 cm
Al3xG

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Standard still, keep some spare ones, speed bumps kills sumps, ground clearance around 9 cm

What about bonnet clearance? Does the engine fit without problems?
Also, regarding intake and exhaust, did you use anything special? It seems intake manifolds have a weird curve that goes outside which may be a problem I think. And you using the standard turbo and exhaust manifold?

Noshest

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
It's tight all around

Intake manifold=custom
Exhaust=Westfield carbon

Al3xG

posted on 12/12/19 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Your car looks lovely.
If you have more pics of your engine bay can you send them to my email please? Those could greatly help the installation

Thanks for all the information

[Edited on 13/12/19 by Al3xG]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 13/12/19 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I was building a race car using an early block with the external water pump, problem is that the water pump is driven by a small belt from the power steering pump which you won't need. So you either have to keep the Power steering pump as an idler or spend money changing things around. If doing it again I would make sure I found a late type block with the built in water pump.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Al3xG

posted on 13/12/19 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
I was building a race car using an early block with the external water pump, problem is that the water pump is driven by a small belt from the power steering pump which you won't need. So you either have to keep the Power steering pump as an idler or spend money changing things around. If doing it again I would make sure I found a late type block with the built in water pump.

Yeah the plan is to find a complete BAM 225 engine, so I can have around 280hp with standard components. Should be good fun

Al3xG

posted on 13/12/19 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'll post the info I found on this thread to help out anyone planning the same.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6116692-AWW-(06A)-to-AEB-(058)-Swap-Info-Pics-Video
Info about converting a transverse engine to longitudinal

Al3xG

posted on 12/3/20 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Here some of my progresses:
- I managed to buy an AGU engine. After some research I think it's the best suited for the swap on a kit car. It's a 06A block, so internal water pump. It lacks a lot of useless valves (egr, sai, etc.) so it's much simpler, and it has a suitable intake manifold with cable throttle body. Downsides are it's low on power, however it's possible to use a K04-023 turbo from a BAM engine to get pretty much the same power (270-280 bhp), or go big turbo with a GT28 for 300bhp+. Also, it seems the fuel rail may be a bit difficult to attach to the fuel lines, a rail from a longitudinal engine (AEB, AJL, APU, etc.) may be a better solution.
- The bellhousing from RWD Motorsport should fit the bill. If you want a plug and play solution, they offer complete kits for both the T9 and the T5 rated for various torque levels.
- If using a T9, it's not gonna last much in standard standard. From my research, the best T9 kits available are from Tracsport. Talking with Steve @SPC/Tracsport he told me they are using their kits on Sevens with 300lb/ft of torque without problems.

I'll start rebuilding the engine in the next few months to have it ready for the swap after the summer. The AGU has pretty good internals (pistons and crankshaft) for reasonable power levels in a Seven (<500bhp), however the rods are a weak spot. I'll go for a set of MaxpeedingRods which should be strong enough for my target power. King bearings all around. The engine will be probably set up with a GTX2867R turbocharger.

I'll keep posting info here for anyone interested

[Edited on 12/3/20 by Al3xG]

Big T

posted on 16/3/20 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would be interested in hearing how you get on. I intend on fitting a 20VT into a Porsche I have, I have chosen to go for the AJL which is the Longitudinally mounted engine from the A4/A6 in the 98-01 era. From what I've researched the oil pump is located at the front of the engine allowing a narrower transmission tunnel to be accommodated for.

I look forward to seeing what you do, I think these engines are great.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.