Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shortest oil filter for 1.8 Zetec Silvertop
Slater

posted on 2/10/20 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Shortest oil filter for 1.8 Zetec Silvertop

Hello, having just moved my steering rack rearwards to improve the bump steer I've found the steering column is now rubbing on the oil filter.

I have a MAN W712/43 filter fitted right now. Is there a shorter filter available for the 1.8 Zetec silvertop?

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/10/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
There are some about 2/3rds that height. (yours is 79mm high)
But do not be tempted by a metric thread version, it must be 3/4UNF.

Cross reference from this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-Oil-Filter-Zetec-Engines-Short-Type-Kit-Car-/130813375424

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/501745159?gclid=CjwKCAjwn9v7BRBqEiwAbq1EyzHxg-nnKGjhjBZAhPbN7hbNCQBz_2y6ylUdHXxRGfxMYlyUMttd8BoC3U0QAvD_BwE />
There may be a shorter one?

[Edited on 2/10/20 by cliftyhanger]

Slimy38

posted on 2/10/20 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably not the locost way, but maybe a remote filter might work? The sandwich plates tend to be quite shallow, and a quick search on here suggest it's a common way of avoiding conflict with the steering rack.
Slater

posted on 2/10/20 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks Cliftyhanger, looks like the Mann W77 is the one I need, as it has the 3/4-16 UNF thread and is only 59 mm tall. I have only 65mm of space.

I will visit my local motor factors tomorrow and get that filter and some oil too.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Slater

posted on 3/10/20 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm the Mann W77 is correct filter for tight clearance on the Zetec, it's only 59mm tall and has the ford 3/4" -16 UNF thread.

I got it from GSF Car Parts who stock Mann Filters. The filter is quite rare as the chap said they only had 13 in stock in all their UK branches! However Amazon also seem to sell them too.

Filter fits fine and I have good clearance to the steering column now.

I've re-adjusted the toe as that changed when I moved the rack, will now wait for a dry day to go for test run. MOT booked Monday!

SteveRST

posted on 5/10/20 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just in case anyone is looking for the absolute shortest oil filter for a zetec, then the MANN W85 filter is just 49mm high but it is a metric M20 thread so you would have to get a 3/4 UNF to M20 threaded fixing spigot to replace the UNF one on the engine.
I had to go this way when I converted my CVH westy to zetec turbo.

[Edited on 5/10/20 by SteveRST]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.