Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X FLOW BHP GAINS
Stevestriker750

posted on 4/1/22 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
X FLOW BHP GAINS

Hi all,

Is it worth trying to squeeze more bhp out of a x flow?

My car currently has a 1700cc with fast road cams and twin Webers

Mike Wood

posted on 4/1/22 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what your objectives and budget are as well as if the car is trying to fit in with any race or speed event series.

1700cc on twin 40 sidedraft Weber carbs is a classic recipe for Seven type cars, probably up to about 135bhp. Beyond that can get expensive to get more power from a Crossflow as well as maybe a different kind of fun and driving car. You might want to investigate Ford Zetec, Rover K Series or more modern car engine swaps or the bike engine route.

What gearbox are you running? Back axle? Brakes?

Cheers
Mike

PS could be interested in the engine, gearbox, carbs, manifolds etc for my Locost project . Is it under 1700cc, e.g. 1690cc?

[Edited on 4/1/22 by Mike Wood]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/1/22 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Define fast road cam - it's possible more power from a better cam, or improved running/setup. Better drivability would be from electronic ignition or ignition and fuel injection.

(I'm working very slowly on a bolt on manifold to use the Weber as throttle body and position the injectors under the Weber's)

snapper

posted on 5/1/22 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Define fast road cam - it's possible more power from a better cam, or improved running/setup. Better drivability would be from electronic ignition or ignition and fuel injection.

(I'm working very slowly on a bolt on manifold to use the Weber as throttle body and position the injectors under the Weber's)

There are injection converted Weber’s available where the injectors are in the carb body, they look just like carbs, very retro.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snapper

posted on 5/1/22 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on a lot of factors, if you have high compression pistons (1300) you may need cutouts in the pistons if running standard oversized pistons then you could push to a 223 or even a 224 camshaft

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 5/1/22 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm aware of these and like them very much, but they're not cheap (although I don't think that expensive) and I wanted to try and do my approach for much less.

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

There are injection converted Weber’s available where the injectors are in the carb body, they look just like carbs, very retro.

Mike Wood

posted on 5/1/22 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you search for info on ‘Ford Crossflow all steel engines’ you will get a flavour of the next big jump up level of Crossflow builds used in some competition cars, such as hillclimb and circuit racers sports racers (such as Mallocks including in historic Clubman’s races) as well as short circuit cars:

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=988232
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/98210/ford-crossflow-all-steel-engine-209-bhp-ax-bl

‘All steel’ refers to using specially made racing components for the crankshaft (such as by Farndon) and the connecting rods as well as aftermarket pistons. IIRC engine builders for such power plants include companies such as Auriga, MASS, Philspeed, Connaught etc.

Guess you have seen: https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-kent-crossflow-tuning-guide.html#

You may want to optimise what you have and then do a swap to a different engine type to get a bigger increase in power on a sensible budget; i.e. reached the end of sensible Crossflow mods and can then get easier power gains and also something with a tractable power curve.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 6/1/22 by Mike Wood]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.