Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: su carbs on zetec
terryroberts

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
su carbs on zetec

hi guys thinking about putting some su carbs on my 1.8 zetec... have to make up a manifold for bike carbs so why not make one for su's!!! what do you all think. mad idea or doable??

terry

clairetoo

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mad idea .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
No point. The SU's ARE a very good carb, but I doubt putting twins or even quad carbs is going to be easy. Either dellortos or EFI I reckon
jacko

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
twin SU carbs/1
twin SU carbs/1

twin SU carbs/2
twin SU carbs/2

twin SU carbs/3
twin SU carbs/3

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes use bike carbs i did after the SU's but the SU carbs were very good but took a bit of setting up to get right
carbs on manifold
carbs on manifold

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 7/5/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
bike carbs and su's are the same principle as far as i can gather, just bike carbs are a perfected jap version, thats why get better mpg over webers, so why not, if have them lying about, its low-cost

[Edited on 7/5/09 by goodall]

The Baron

posted on 7/5/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently doing a Pinto to Zetec conversion project.

I am going to use my old DGAV carb, on a cross flow manifold, then........ I have purchased an adaptor plate to convert a cross flow mnifold to a zetec head (aparently its quite popular in the banger racing world)

so...... if you can get a su manifold for a cross flow, what you are proposing is quite possible.....

HTH,

Cheers,

B

jpindy3

posted on 7/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
i got load of those plates,my mate who i work with races stock cars,i would stick with bike carbs
big_wasa

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
ive seen one on a stock car.

The guy just wedged a 90 deg bend into the mondeo manifold and stuck one big Su on the end of it.

DIY Si

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst bike carbs are better, if you have the SU's and the stuff to make a manifold, then it will be cheaper. Personally though, I'd go bike carbs as they are essentially like SU's but better.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ss1turbo

posted on 8/5/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted an SU onto a CVH using an RSTurbo MFI manifold - ran fine until it got hot then wouldn't restart! Think the manifold volume was too big....

Twin SU's don't work as well as they should due to the firing order (sucks twice from each carb, then leaves it alone for a whole revolution).

A Single would do the job better..and i've seen one done to a 1600 Pinto using a twin weber manifold with a cover plate over the top, and a hole cut in the back for the carb. Apparently made a little extra power, and was loads better on fuel economy!

Long live RWD...

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Having spent a lot of my life working with single, twin and triple SUs and Stromberg CDs ---

I would say SU are very good very simple carbs (although depends a lot on the exact sub type eg HS series carbs are cheap rubbish especially the Waxstat type. ----- but my advice is don't even go there bolt on a Rover M16 or T16 Manifold and Microsquirt it.

[Edited on 8/5/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DIY Si

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo

Twin SU's don't work as well as they should due to the firing order (sucks twice from each carb, then leaves it alone for a whole revolution).

Really? How does that work with a 1, 3, 2, 4 firing order that I thought the Zetec had? Or have I missed something?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ss1turbo

posted on 9/5/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo

Really? How does that work with a 1, 3, 2, 4 firing order that I thought the Zetec had? Or have I missed something?

I thought it was 1,3,4,2 - so 3, then 4, foloowed by 2 then 1..Certainly is on a CVH.

Long live RWD...

jacko

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
As you can see in my other post i had su's on my pinto 1342 and they worked great
terryroberts

posted on 9/5/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
hi jacko what size carbs were you using? im thinking some of a dolomite sprint 1.75" should do i think. are good on sprints for upto 150bhp.
jacko

posted on 9/5/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mine were 1 3/4 su's but as you can see in the photos i now use zx9r bike carbs and the difference is unbelievable
if you are looking for speed / performance
bike carbs is the way to go in my opinion

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.