Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seized stand driving me 'nuts'!!!!
Sprytny

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Seized stand driving me 'nuts'!!!!

Re: Honda CBF650

The main stand seems to have seized. It will move 1/4 way down, but it won't go any further.

What might be causing this, and what can I do to try and resolve this fault. I have tried lubricating its pivot points with some success. Also, using a blow torch, where is the best place to apply heat to resolve this fault?

How do I remove the stand: I have located the correct bolt according to the haynes manual, but the rod will not come out. Should I use a drift and hammer it out, or am I missing something here.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Greg

tomprescott

posted on 10/5/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mean to sound patronising but do you know the proper technique to taking a bike on and off the stand?

A bird in the hand....

Sprytny

posted on 11/5/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I see what you mean. I do know the procedure, and I have been using it for years! I also considered this, but I made many, many attempts to place it on the stand. Initially, it was seized, and I resolved this by using a mixture of penetrating fluid and heat to free it. Now it won't take the bikes weight! I am lost now especially as I can't remove the shaft!

I will post a pic of the assembly: hopefully that will be more useful!!!

Sprytny

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
pictures

I've included a picture of what I need to remove - it is the item indicated. How should I go about removing it? Rescued attachment Image000b.JPG
Rescued attachment Image000b.JPG

Sprytny

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
pic2

Rescued attachment Image001a.JPG
Rescued attachment Image001a.JPG

Sprytny

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
pic3

Rescued attachment Image002c.JPG
Rescued attachment Image002c.JPG

Sprytny

posted on 12/5/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
pic 4

Rescued attachment Image003d.JPG
Rescued attachment Image003d.JPG

Sprytny

posted on 13/5/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Damage

I am worrying that if I try to 'hammer' out the shaft, it might damage the face and make it even more of an effort to remove.
Sprytny

posted on 13/5/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
"What is the vertical piece in front of the stand, it's covered in crud and may be a breather pipe. Whatever it is does it foul the stand?"

The vertical piece in front of the stand is the is the gear changing mechanism; it is made up of two parts but doesn't foul the stand at all. I admit it is a little dirty, but I've cleaned it up as much as I can, and will clean it further once I get a chance with the old WD40.

"The first marked item is a bolt head and may be a long one going across the stand mounting plates, if it is then there will be a nut on the end of it which will have to be undone before it can be withdrawn. If this is the bolt you say just turns, and does not come out, have you removed the nut?"

This is not the bolt that is at fault. I wasn't very clear: this is the bolt that seems to allow you to remove the whole stand mechanism. However, it looks like it will remove the side stand as well, which would mean there would be nothing to support the bike on.

"The last picture shows a hollow shaft, did this have a long bolt with big washers going through it holding it in place? If not then this could be the stand spindle which is pressed in or welded to the side plates, and cannot be removed."

This is the shaft that I thought could be removed. If you consider the final picture, the bolt which turns without stopping is the one just above this. When this "bolt" is removed, it seems like the shaft can be removed, as the section around it is secured by this bolt.

I hope I have clarified the situation with you.

I will try the block technique as this makes sense. I will need to wait until I can find someone to help me with it however.

Sprytny

posted on 15/5/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
repaired

Picture 4: I have removed the bolt that sits on top of the shaft as indicated in picture 4, and it now works. I can't understand why this now works: as standard this bolt is supposed to be there. What would people here recommend me to do now?
40inches

posted on 16/5/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
The bolt is to lock the shaft in place, the bearings are seized, the whole lot is now revolving in the chassis mounting holes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.