Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec 2.0 EGR
Deshy

posted on 14/2/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec 2.0 EGR

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so go easy on me

Currently looking at removing the EGR valve on my Duratec 2.0 Focus and I'm looking for some advise and from the looks of the other posts its Flak Monkey's brain I want to pick at! haha (sorry mate) or anyone else of course! The more help the better!

Before I start could someone tell me where the coolant pipe goes after it enters the EGR valve? does it flow into the head? I have seen a picture of the valves location and this does appear to be the case, how do you block it off when using this engine in your cars.. anything special?

Due to the engine still being used in its standard body (Focus) I am planning to fit the blanking plate between the head and the valve so I can keep the electronic socket/control plugged in to avoid a management light, can you think of any problems with this??

From what I have read on here the exhaust side of EGR system is fine to leave (I have a SS Milltek exhaust manifold to go on) do I need to do anything with the inlet side? I know the ST150 versions inlet manifold blocks the EGR system off.. is it worth picking one up to swap it?? not doing any heavy modifications yet like ITB's so hence the standard manifolds.

Sorry for the 101 questions. Hope someone can share there knowledge of this engine as its a bit different vs the good old zetec!

Thanks
Deshy

big-vee-twin

posted on 14/2/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hello mate and welcome to the Forum. Plenty of informative chaps on here to help you.

Below you will see my Duratec it is a ST150, but my inlet manifold has been made to cover the EGR port on the induction side, you will also see the EGR vave blanked off at the back of the head.

The inlet manifold mounts GSXR 750 bike throttle bodies and was made by Fastdan a member on here.

On the exhaust side you will see the Duratec manifold extends to the rear and covers the EGR on the exhaust side.

Once you have all the openings blocked up you will essentially have an ST150 head.

Not sure about the ECU I guess you will have to suck it and see.

[img] Exhaust Fitted
Exhaust Fitted
[/img]

[img] Duratec to Type9 Bellhousing
Duratec to Type9 Bellhousing
[/img]

[Edited on 14/2/12 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Deshy

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi BVT, thanks for the info/ pics & welcome (BTW love the car!) That's what I'm essentially trying to do I think. Since your engine is the ST150 version I take it the EGR ports were already covered? Did you happen to notice if one of the holes looked as if it were for coolant?? If that's even possible! haha

I disconnected the electronic connector plug today and what a difference it made! Throttle response became better and the acceleration appears to be a lot smoother up the revs not really sure if it would be in a open/open position though, the results could be due to the valve not fluxuating from open to closed under conditions...

Down side? the management light is on, I have diagnostic equipment so its not a problem however it does enforce my idea about putting the plate between the head and the valve so it continues to operate even though there will be no exhaust gasses passing through it essentially tricking the ECU I hope!

big-vee-twin

posted on 14/2/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you could fool it with a resistor same value as the coil resitance on the valve, just a thought.

Will make a difference as you are not putting exhaust gasses back into the inlet.

Yes my port was already covered not seen any coolant holes

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

flak monkey

posted on 14/2/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
You can just fit a thin blanking plate between the valve and head to fool the ECU into thinking it's still working. No problem.

There is a coolant feed to the EGR valve, presumably to keep it closed until the engine is up to temp, but if its blanked it doesnt hurt. Theres a pic of mine uncovered somewhere and you'll see theres 3 holes, exhaust in/out and coolant.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Deshy

posted on 15/2/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that FM, I was hoping that idea would work!
Yeah I think it may have been your picture that I had seen which made me think it was a coolant hole just wasn't sure so thanks for the confirmation!

I came across this blanking plate which looks to be nice and thin so hoping it will do the job!

[img]http://www.jreracingproducts.com/_webedit/cached-images/listing-876-1-1-363-273[/img]

Once its ordered and delivered I can make a start to fitting the manifold then the blanking plate... then jobs a gooden

Thanks for all the help and info guys very much appreciated

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.