Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR Throttle bodies advice
Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR Throttle bodies advice

Hi

Just taken delivery from ebay of some clean GSXR 600 TB's to do a conversion from 40 webers . on examination they are fitted with the secondary butterflies as expected which shouldn't be hard to remove, however they also have a second set of injectors , Have I stumbled upon the only unsuitable TBs available or do I need to remove and blank off blank off those as well ?

There are two linked Fuel rails which could easily be removed and used singly .... As you can tell I have a steep learning curve ahead .... Also there are vacuum tubes from each body which join at a electrical socket is this a MAP sensor or does it connect to one elsewhere?

Oh and while I'm at it I assume I will need bigger injectors for car use so what will fit straight in and connect up to a mega/microsquirt . projected power from my 1.6 fiat Twink (with Abarth head and cams) is 130- 150 hp. All advice and input greatly appreciated.

By the way assuming I've bought useful TBs and airbox I think they were a bargain at a maiden bid of £40 plus £15 carriage ....No?

Thanks

Ian

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Are the throttle bodies separable? or are they in 2 pairs?

Maybe a photo.

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Think those come a two pairs rather than four separates, you will most probably need a custom manifold to adapt the cylinder spacing to the body spacing.

FastDan on here should be able to help you.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Andybarbet

posted on 1/5/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a pic of my GSXR 600's (2001 Year) They are 4 seperate bodies with two sets of butterflys but only one injector rail with one injector per body
seperating bodys
seperating bodys

Here they are spaced out on a custom manifold, i made a fuel rail bracket for support & it secures the injectors too, just need to make the fuel rail joiner pipes on the lathe at work now & fill the holes where i removed the secondary butterflys
Injector bracket
Injector bracket

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Are the throttle bodies separable? or are they in 2 pairs?

Maybe a photo.

2 pairs but I'm not planning to separate them

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Think those come a two pairs rather than four separates, you will most probably need a custom manifold to adapt the cylinder spacing to the body spacing.

FastDan on here should be able to help you.

planning to fabricate my own by modifying another Fiat manifold ...that's the plan

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
throttle bodies
throttle bodies

if this works you should see the generic picture I bought them from however the (visible) injector plugs are grey and brown on mine , condition is not quite as glistening but not bad

se7ensport

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had a set of similar TB's and still re-spaced them slightly to match my manifold, stripped out the second butterflies and filled the holes with epoxy resin.

I mapped mine for Alpha-N rather than using a MAP sensor so I joined all of the vacuum tubes together, it is likely to be a MAP sensor you currently have connected..

Rather than bigger injectors just run both sets at the same time, I actually bought a set of 1000cc GSXR ones with the 8 injectors to do just that, but I found that the ones I already had from the 750 gave me a sensible duty cycle.

Description
Description

Description
Description

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding running the injectors from Megasquirt.

I don't know the exact design of these TB's but if one set of injectors is before the throttle plates then you need to stage the injectors (i.e. don't run the outer injectors when at low throttle openings).

Staged injection can be controlled from megaquirt. MS1 can do it but it isn't very clever during the transition when the outer injectors come in (it is all or nothing with MS1). MS2 and later is much more powerful in this regard and properly ramps up the outer injectors. I ran a set-up like this and it worked fine.

If you run both sets of injectors then you probably should have enough fuel.

It looks like one set of the injectors are shared with gsxr750 and also the vzr1800. (ron ayres cross reference)
The vzr1800 (not a bike I have heard about before) uses only 2 injectors and makes 125hp which suggests to me that you will have oodles of fuel with 4 of these.
Only internet information though.

Matt

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I had a set of similar TB's and still re-spaced them slightly to match my manifold, stripped out the second butterflies and filled the holes with epoxy resin.

I mapped mine for Alpha-N rather than using a MAP sensor so I joined all of the vacuum tubes together, it is likely to be a MAP sensor you currently have connected..

Rather than bigger injectors just run both sets at the same time, I actually bought a set of 1000cc GSXR ones with the 8 injectors to do just that, but I found that the ones I already had from the 750 gave me a sensible duty cycle.

Description
Description

Description
Description

To run 2 sets (presumably thats what the Suzuki does all the time ) i guess I would parallel wire them but would they be big enough combined and would that cuase problems for the ECU

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
not really looking for complication . which is why I'm considering Microsquirt

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Will try to get some photos of the actual TB's uploaded tomorrow , again excuse my ignorance but I understood an injection set up would require a return pipe to the tank for unused fuel , but there is no provision for that here .

Cheers for all the info so far , I'm hoping to study some more setups at Stoneleigh for inspiration and get a feel for the jargon

Valtra

posted on 1/5/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286472

found this link which indicates my primary Brown injectors should flow 225 cc at 43.5 psi (3bar) which according to the B&G website makes them bang on for 150 hp every day's a school day

All comments gratefully received

Valtra

posted on 2/5/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Some pictures as promised

twin injection rails
twin injection rails

Description
Description

blurred sorry

Description
Description

Description
Description

throttle bods
throttle bods

big-vee-twin

posted on 2/5/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a return pipe back to the tank, also the vacuum pipes are connected to a MAP sensor, if you use megasquirt the MS has one built in, Micro squirt does not so you may be able to use that one you have.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

Valtra

posted on 2/5/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You will need a return pipe back to the tank, also the vacuum pipes are connected to a MAP sensor, if you use megasquirt the MS has one built in, Micro squirt does not so you may be able to use that one you have.

Thanks where does the return pipe go from ?

se7ensport

posted on 2/5/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valtra
To run 2 sets (presumably thats what the Suzuki does all the time ) i guess I would parallel wire them but would they be big enough combined and would that cuase problems for the ECU

It shouldn't do, I'm running VEMs which has no issues with paring injectors.

Regarding return line, insert a T piece as close to the fuel rails as possible going via a fuel pressure regulator returning to the tank. When I did this on my pinto/GSXR setup I put the regulator right next to the tank rather than in the engine bay as I didn't want to run a return line, ideally the closer to the fuel rail the better to ensure an even pressure.

Valtra

posted on 2/5/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Valtra

It shouldn't do, I'm running VEMs which has no issues with paring injectors.

Regarding return line, insert a T piece as close to the fuel rails as possible going via a fuel pressure regulator returning to the tank. When I did this on my pinto/GSXR setup I put the regulator right next to the tank rather than in the engine bay as I didn't want to run a return line, ideally the closer to the fuel rail the better to ensure an even pressure.

Yes I think I'm getting the idea the rail only has one inlet but it that supply is interrupted by a regulator any pressure /flow over the regulator setting is returned back to tank.

Re injectors as above it seems the brown main injectors on my TBs are about spot on for my power expectations so will blank the grey ones somehow (suggestions?)

the fog is clearing now thanks gents

se7ensport

posted on 3/5/12 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
May as well leave them in, you could look to find a core plugs in the right diameter and glue them in, but it does risk leaking air.
Valtra

posted on 3/5/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
May as well leave them in, you could look to find a core plugs in the right diameter and glue them in, but it does risk leaking air.

Fair point , are they held in with the fuel rail or do they screw in somehow?

cheers

se7ensport

posted on 3/5/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel rail holds them in place.
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/5/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki have a fuel pressure regulator built into the pump and use a "dead head" system. So no return fuel line.

This works fine and is clean and simple.

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/5/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I blanked my injector ports using large headed roof bolts engineering glue (araldite) and liquid metal.

See below

[img] GSXR on Duratec
GSXR on Duratec
[/img]

Valtra

posted on 3/5/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Suzuki have a fuel pressure regulator built into the pump and use a "dead head" system. So no return fuel line.

This works fine and is clean and simple.

Thanks , that makes sense so long as the pressure regulator I choose is set correctly and accurately, I guess it will work a bit like a waste-gate on a turbo motor

Valtra

posted on 3/5/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I blanked my injector ports using large headed roof bolts engineering glue (araldite) and liquid metal.

See below

[img] GSXR on Duratec
GSXR on Duratec
[/img]

Yes I thought a stubby bolt and chemical metal/solder would probably work ok , I used a similar method to blank a vacuum take off on my current inlet manifold which works fine.

cheers

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.