Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 VCT Delete Kit from the States
cjellwood

posted on 23/10/17 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Prior to getting an ECU could I just plug in a solenoid and tie clip it somewhere to make the ECU think it is working, or is more complicated than that?
cjellwood

posted on 24/10/17 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
One more thing, once the pulleys are in and timed up standardly do I really need a special tool to dial the adjustment?
big_wasa

posted on 24/10/17 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
The ecu will know the vvt is not moving due to the cam trigger. It will give an out of range code.
cjellwood

posted on 24/10/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
whatever happens I will post back here later with confirmation of whatever happens. After a year of trying I have just managed to lose the SRS warning light from changing the seats. The typical resistor trick does not work on MK1 /MK1.5 Focus but I got there in the end with a capacitor. No more yellow lights are welcome.

I failed to mention earlier that my ST170 is not standard. The good guys at CTM Dagenham rebuilt the engine with a stage 2 head amongst other things but I am yet to see what she can do due to the VVT issue.

cjellwood

posted on 26/10/17 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys! I managed to get them on without too much grief and she is now nice and smooth with a nice poke starting at around 3.5k rather than waiting for 5k for things to happen. Loss at top end a tad but if I put the foot down hard it compensates thanks to the stage 2 head. Where to go from here? Can I advance more for starters or is it time for the aftermarket ECU?

cjellwood

posted on 28/10/17 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
A quick tech question please. When I am a tad confused when folk talk abuot 40 degrees at the crank being 20 degrees at the dial. The ST170 is described as going to 60 degrees advance from 4-5k rpm which I assume is cam degrees? Am I right in thinking to achieve 60 degrees advance I turn the pulley to dial setting 30 degrees?
cjellwood

posted on 3/11/17 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Things are not going well. The inlet pulley is wiggling and trying to push the belt off. Everything is bolted up fine ? Has anyone had this problem before? I am wondering if it is a faulty pulley.

Btw I still sent ahead with tuning and found the best spot to be 34 deg advanced on the dial. Does this tally with anyone else findings?

[Edited on 3/11/17 by cjellwood]

[Edited on 3/11/17 by cjellwood]

big_wasa

posted on 16/5/20 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I know it’s an old thread but a big thumbs up to silky16v for posting the dimensions for the Vvt delete spacer. I’ve enjoyed a mooch around the garage this afternoon

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/5/20 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I know it’s an old thread but a big thumbs up to silky16v for posting the dimensions for the Vvt delete spacer. I’ve enjoyed a mooch around the garage this afternoon

Now, you have a reputation for using OEM management... so whats the plan here?? I am wondering about locking the VVT on an st170, I have a weber ignition-only ecu from a blacktop (should be about right) but und=sure what induction to use. Could just get an aftermarket ECU, or go carb/s?
Ideas in my head while I am going stir crazy....

big_wasa

posted on 20/5/20 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Long Story.
I needed some thing to take my mind of stuff and I didn’t want work on car so l just decided to have a crack.
Run out on the Oem pulley at the out side tip is 0.15mm mine is showing 0.34mm so it’s not perfect. Ie it wobbles 0.17mm out of true at the edge of the pulley. But it probably won’t ever get used. I just wanted to see how tight I could get the tolerance. My lathe is fairly worn but I think I can get it closer with more carful indexing the bar stock.

But I’ve just about finished my Zetec turbo on Oem management

[Edited on 20/5/20 by big_wasa]

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/5/20 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, I was wondering if you had a clever idea about std ecu on an ST engine.
Guess it isn't clever enough to cope with a change of injectors, or indeed to use the blacktop injectors but the ST will just produce more power anyway.

All stuff in my head, again as a bit of a distraction from other stuff.

And thanks for replying.

big_wasa

posted on 21/5/20 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
To use the blacktop ECU on the st you would have to modify the exhaust cam phase trigger. It's more like a trigger wheel than the Blacktops single lobe.

I may get around to that one day

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.