Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is a Jaguar S Type diesel a realistic DIY proposition?
Brook_lands

posted on 12/11/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is a Jaguar S Type diesel a realistic DIY proposition?

Folks

As in the title really, at the moment I do all my own tin top maintenance, it goes to the garage once a year for it MOT and to a tyre place went it needs new boots. As a do around 30k miles per year this saves me a bucket load of money. I’m looking at a Jaguar S type diesel as a replacement for my current Citroen daily driver as it is nearing 300k miles and is showing its age.

I appreciate that running a Jaguar is going to cost more than a Citroen but how realistic a DIY proposition is it? What is within the capabilities of a moderately competent mechanic and Locost builder?

Cheers

Brook_Lands

[Edited on 12/11/12 by Brook_lands]

snapper

posted on 12/11/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
S types are known for auto box failure, not DIY fixable you'd be better off with an X type as its just a rebodied Mondeo

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 12/11/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you really want a big diesel that is easy+cheap to maintain find yourself an MG ZT or Rover 75 there are still a few out there with reasonably low mileages and parts are cheap, the most expensive job you will likely have to do is wishbones and bushes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

paulf

posted on 12/11/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If you really want a big diesel that is easy+cheap to maintain find yourself an MG ZT or Rover 75 there are still a few out there with reasonably low mileages and parts are cheap, the most expensive job you will likely have to do is wishbones and bushes.

Mine has now done 250000 miles and still drives nicely, had to do the clutch last year which was not a very nice job , alternators are also a bit of a nuisance but apart from that and a wishbone it has been a great car.The interiors are far better than most other comparable cars and the ride comfort is very good.
Paul

morcus

posted on 12/11/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I'm not mistaken the engine is a PSA derived unit and they are well known for the quality of there diesel engines. I've not heard anything about auto box failiure and I've been looking at S-types for the last two years with the intention of eventually getting one, but I've not looked at diesels and they do have a different box and a manual was also available, but to me that defeats the whole object of having a jag.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Brook_lands

posted on 12/11/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info.

The Jag I'm considering is a manual which is fairly rare, had a couple of auto's in the past and I just don't seem to get on with them.

I've also been looking at the Rover 75's as I'm now officially an old git but always fancied a Jag. When I was a young junior engineer the Boss had a brand new XJ V12 and if you went anywhere with him you had to drive (so he could have a drink) just loved that car, compared with my old Beetle it was like it came from another planet.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 12/11/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201240487428164/sort/default/usedcars/model/mark_ii/make/jaguar/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/o nesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/cv359pf/radius/1500?logcode=p

jonrotheray

posted on 12/11/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 54 plate manual s type diesel sport for 3 years and covered about 60k in it.
Didn't do any maintenance myself, but it was a great drive.
Service at main dealer was around £1000 once a year, and it cost me a fortune in tyres too!
Now I'm retired I can't afford it (got a Kia instead!!!)

If I were getting another I'd go for a manual again (better mpg too) and avoid the low-profiles and sports seats, which were much more uncomfortable than my old 406.

mark chandler

posted on 12/11/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
The big problem with jag autoboxes is the filled for life mentality, if they have regular oil changes they will last a very long time.

The boxes in XK & XK jags were Mercedes in non supercharged guise, Mercedes had a dip stick and recommend fluid changes - no complaints.

britishtrident

posted on 12/11/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Compared to the rock solid slush boxes of the classic era most modern autoboxes seem to very fragile especially if they don't get a fluid change, they also don't tolerate over or under filling.
I have been told the reason for this is friction materials in the boxes are now asbestos free.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.