Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Everything you wanted to know about bolts (& nuts)
bartonp

posted on 6/6/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Everything you wanted to know about bolts (& nuts)

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/info.htm?

[Edited on 6/6/13 by bartonp]

richardm6994

posted on 6/6/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
spring washers was interesting

Bluemoon

posted on 6/6/13 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
spring washers was interesting

Yep they are not very good! Positive retention is IMHO the way to go it it's mission critical defiantly; not a spring washer..

Slimy38

posted on 6/6/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting that threadlock is considered better than nylock, I wonder if Mr IVA would agree with that sentiment.
matt_gsxr

posted on 6/6/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Interesting that threadlock is considered better than nylock, I wonder if Mr IVA would agree with that sentiment.

More difficult for him to see/inspect threadlock, which probably is his concern.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/6/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

More difficult for him to see/inspect threadlock, which probably is his concern.

dito.. Postiive locking, i.e. spit pin is better in this respect.

For personal peace of mind you can't beat a painted line to quickly check if something is undoing..

The funny thing about Mr/Mrs IVA is how do they know the nyloc has not been used many times? Same argument as "I used threadlock"...

nick205

posted on 6/6/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some great information in there!

Bookmarked for future reference.

snapper

posted on 6/6/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it sad or further development of understanding but I've bookmarked it anyway

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bartonp

posted on 7/6/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't know that a smaller locknut should go on first - watch the videos.
mcerd1

posted on 7/6/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
this video shows some good data on different bolt types:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

(obviously its a bit biased)

one point it does make is - nylock's might loosen a bit but they won't normally completely unscrew themselves

-

Jamwat

posted on 20/6/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Having just flicked through this in particular the tightening methods it negates to mention the fundamental key ingepredient for tightening... COF
The co efficient of friction is absolutely critical in calculating your final torque and has a direct relationship on the final clamp load.
At the end of the day tightening torque values are used as an easy way to apply clamp.

Someone mentioned on here about thread lock versus nylok and the fact the test stations may not see it is a valid comment. Many manufacturers now make all metal prevailing torque type nuts which are crudely putting it squashed across two of the flats on the hex so that their is metal to metal contact. These are far better than nylok and ten test guy defi would not see them..

Fasteners are very interesting, and a vital key ingredient to your builds even though they are shitty little parts you can't build without them..

Bluemoon

posted on 21/6/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, COF is critical and changes between bolt finishes, oily, clean etc.. So much so you can stretch bolts thinking the torque is correct.. People forget they are clamps, and are not designed to be used in shear...
Slimy38

posted on 21/6/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamwat
Someone mentioned on here about thread lock versus nylok and the fact the test stations may not see it is a valid comment. Many manufacturers now make all metal prevailing torque type nuts which are crudely putting it squashed across two of the flats on the hex so that their is metal to metal contact. These are far better than nylok and ten test guy defi would not see them..

The nuts for fixing my Toledo suspension components were similar to this, if you looked inside the nuts it looked like they last couple of threads weren't cut. As you say, they didn't look any different to existing nuts when on the car. And I can imagine them being severely weakened by reuse.

Jamwat

posted on 21/6/13 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
yep they can degrade to a certain degree just like Nylok nuts. OEM standards state they can be used up to 5 times.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.