Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec blacktop wont take throttle...
albertz

posted on 6/9/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec blacktop wont take throttle...

I had my Locost 2.0 Zetec (blacktop) out a few weeks ago and it ran absolutely fine, had a nice long run with no problems. Returned home, parked the car, then went out a week or so later and the car started ok, but when I went to drive off it stalled. Repeated the process over and over. Whenever the throttle is applied it stalls. No idea what has happened or why...

Nothing has changed of my doing and it ran fine when last driven, but something seems to have changed with the ECU, map or more likely a failed sensor somewhere.

Any ideas??? Suggestions greatly appreciated, as I am flummoxed!

2.0 blacktop zetec, griffin power systems injection plenum, original zetec throttle body, omex 600 ECU, original injectors.

austin man

posted on 6/9/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
throttle position sensor may be fubarred

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

silky16v

posted on 7/9/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
TPS connect to the omex 600 and go in to startup map with ignition check the range of the trottle pot
MikeRJ

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Check the fuel pressure!
albertz

posted on 7/9/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I will check both the fuel pressure and the TPS, can you please give me the figures for what these should be, especially the TPS range.

I have the Omex software and should be able to connect up to a laptop, anyone familiar enough with this test to be able to tell m how/where to look to find this info?

Planning to advertise the car for sale shortly. The car is in Aberdeen, has a brand new 2.0 Zetec blacktop with the low level sump, raceline water rail, Omex 600 ECU etc. good car, done just over 600 miles since built (hence sale). Could do with some TLC in places maybe. I will obviously do a full advert on here with pictures and a more detailed specification once I get her running properly again. This is just an opportunist plug in case someone may be looking!!

albertz

posted on 8/9/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have been playing about with the car today and have a little more information.

The engine starts as normal, and if I gently press the accelerator it will increase the revs, if I blip the throttle it chokes immediately and normally stalls. Maybe I am paranoid, but the fuel pump did not seem to whiz as much as normal when I first turn on the ignition, it seemed much more lethargic.

Also, when connecting the laptop to the omex, it "establishes comms" at 38400 baud, but then I get an error message saying Map3000 has discovered a problem and the omex is "unable to create directory".

For what it is worth the ECU connecting to the laptop was a problem before and I don't particularly think the two issues are directly related as the car was driving fine even after I first discovered the connectivity problem with the laptop.

Any ideas on either of these things?

ianm67

posted on 8/9/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
What's the fuel pressure at? Have you measured it yet? Sounds like fuel starvation to me........

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

albertz

posted on 8/9/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ian, I am coming to the idea that the fuel pump is at the heart of the problem. I have not established the pressure yet. The pump is an old pump out of the original Toyota corolla gti donor, maybe it has just failed or is failing.

I sat in the car today and slowly added the revs and it picked up ok, but press hard on the throttle and it chokes and stalls. All makes me think it is fuel pressure/delivery linked. Will check the fuel pressure or bite the bullet and replace the pump, any recommendations for a replacement fuel pump??

[Edited on 8/9/13 by albertz]

ianm67

posted on 8/9/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
Thanks Ian, I am coming to the idea that the fuel pump is at the heart of the problem. I have not established the pressure yet. The pump is an old pump out of the original Toyota corolla gti donor, maybe it has just failed or is failing.

I sat in the car today and slowly added the revs and it picked up ok, but press hard on the throttle and it chokes and stalls. All makes me think it is fuel pressure/delivery linked. Will check the fuel pressure or bite the bullet and replace the pump, any recommendations for a replacement fuel pump??

[Edited on 8/9/13 by albertz]

I would check that the filter between the high pressure injection pump and fuel rail isn't blocked, these can be replaced relatively cheaply. If the pump is duff (and I am assuming that it is external to the fuel tank) then you won't go far wrong with one of these, it's what I have fitted to my Dax:

New Universal Electrical Fuel Pump 0580464070 0580463010

HTH, Ian

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.