Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Formula 27 Project
alex1991

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Formula 27 Project

Hi, I've had this a few months and already started altering it to my taste so thought I'd do a thread.

Unfortunately I couldn't build one myself as I don't have enough spare time or a garage (I'm doing my PhD which sucks up 95% of my life and I've just bought my first house and for my student based budget I couldn't get a garage).

My previous car was a mk2 Honda CRX, I built this up from a rust free shell and did a few modifications (port+polished+skimmed head, short ratio gearbox, big brakes, coilovers etc.)

I decided I wanted a rear wheel drive car next and I didn't really need a full sized performance car along with all the costs that go with one so decided I'd look at classics and kits. Saw a few cars but when I found this F27 it looked like it had a really involved and proper build, loads of history and photos and properly registered and IVA'd.

The spec is

F27 wide body
1.8 VVC K series (143bhp) with the later 52mm throttle body.
Inboard front rocker suspension and independent rear suspension.
Calipers all round.
Caterham exhaust and manifold.

Dip beam + Flashers by Andy Bowen, on Flickr
Rear view + spare wheel by Andy Bowen, on Flickr
Caterham wind deflectors by Andy Bowen, on Flickr
F27 Ad photos by Andy Bowen, on Flickr

I started by changing the plugs and put a new air filter on, I also altered the pedal heights and made a bit more space for my size 12 feet.

And now I decided I needed more speed
So I took the spare wheel off and mount (25kg)
Put 14inch KN Minators on (saved 20kg in unsprung weight)
Fiberglass seats (more for leg room but still a healthy 6 kg saving)
Heatwrapped the manifold to help with temperature
Fitted a tacho
Polished and waxed.

I've also bought a 3.9 diff as it uses the Ford V6 gearbox (long gears) and a 3.6 diff (long gears) so its very long geared which is ruining performance a bit. I'll hopefully get this fitted this month once I've done all my conferences.

On the new wheels and seats

Next up is to set the alignment and get a new exhaust silencer, mine has a cat so some weight and bhp to be saved/gained!

Also if anyone else has a F27 build thread I'd be interested in having a look at it, especially in suspension settings etc.

Dick

posted on 31/8/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
What i will say is nice car BUT next time you go out make sure your bonnet catches are on have seen lots of kit cars that bonnets have come off (look at the photo of the drivers side while driving it) positive lock ones are the best
alex1991

posted on 31/8/15 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
That one never stays on while driving, the other side is fine. The hinges are at the front and its a one piece so there is no real chance of it coming off unless I reversed at 40mph.
Dick

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good point i should have known that as i have one sitting in bits in my yard waiting to be put back togeather
Rosco86

posted on 31/8/15 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice and tidy, those wheels look so much better

My Build Thread

Robsparky99

posted on 7/10/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Love the wheels, where did you get them?

Really tidy, Like to get mine looking like that!

Nothing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.