Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 and aftermarket speedometers
micksalt

posted on 22/12/15 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
MX-5 and aftermarket speedometers

Since I have at least one dead instrument in my donor car's instrument cluster, I am considering aftermarket options. However, I have a cable-driven speedometer at the moment. What are my options for an aftermarket speedometer? Are there adapters that can clip onto the rotating cable, or do I just remove that and use a magnet-based system? If I go for magnets, I'm thinking of putting it on the diff input coupling, and fabricating a bracket to hold the sensor. Does this sound about right?

Cheers

nick205

posted on 22/12/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
In my MK Indy I ditched the Sierra instruments and fitted a magnet/sensor based speedo. As you suggest, I glued the magnets to the diff input flange and made a rivet on bracket to hold the sensor. It worked fine and passed IVA no problems.

Glad I did it as the Sierra cable from the gearbox would have been a nightmare to deal with.

sdh2903

posted on 22/12/15 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a hall effect sensor for my racetech dash 2. Mounted to a bracket to read off the prop shaft bolts.
micksalt

posted on 22/12/15 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers folks, looks like I was on the right track at least.

posted on 22/12/15 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for a magnet on the prop / dif area.

Dead easy to calibrate for IVA and should you ever change wheels / tyres then easy to re-calibrate.

Paul G

Adamirish

posted on 22/12/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I changed from a cable setup to the magnet/pick up sensor with an etb dd2. It's infinitely programmable for gearing etc and very easy to set up(I did it so it can't be difficulty! ) mine in glued to the driveshaft out put flange. Made a bracket from 4mm steel bolted to a diff case bolt.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

skov

posted on 22/12/15 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The Mk2 uses an electronic speed sensor which bolts onto the Mk1 gearbox in place of the cable.

I used one on my Mk1 based Haynes Roadster to drive my speedo:

[Edited on 22/12/15 by skov]

jim87

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
Since I have at least one dead instrument in my donor car's instrument cluster, I am considering aftermarket options. However, I have a cable-driven speedometer at the moment. What are my options for an aftermarket speedometer? Are there adapters that can clip onto the rotating cable, or do I just remove that and use a magnet-based system? If I go for magnets, I'm thinking of putting it on the diff input coupling, and fabricating a bracket to hold the sensor. Does this sound about right?

Cheers

If you're going to use magnet and a sensor, make sure that the sensor is bolted to the diff rather than the floor for example. I had my sensor attached to the chassis, and every time you accelerate, the speedo stops working, as the diff moves away from the sensor a little. This was with a non-magnetic sensor on the prop bolts mind, so it might work better with magnetic sensors

jim87

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skov
The Mk2 uses an electronic speed sensor which bolts onto the Mk1 gearbox in place of the cable.

I used one on my Mk1 based Haynes Roadster to drive my speedo:

[Edited on 22/12/15 by skov]

Skov ,

what instruments was this with ? I've been looking at using one of these, but had read that the mk2 sensor doesn't output digital pulses that most gauges would expect

Jim

chillis

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
NA mx5 is cable, NB is electric, though exactly what the signal shape is like and whether its compatible with aftermarket gauges is not something I can comment on. Is it an neccesity to change to aftermarket gauges or are you simply after a different look? Revlimiter does a range of alternative gauge faces if you want ot 'dress up' your gauge pod

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

skov

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jim87

Skov ,

what instruments was this with ? I've been looking at using one of these, but had read that the mk2 sensor doesn't output digital pulses that most gauges would expect

Jim

Ah, yes I forgot about that. I had to make a little circuit to convert the output from VRS to pulse. Seems to work ok:

(Note, it assumes the speedo has a pull-up resistor on it's input)

micksalt

posted on 23/12/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis Is it an neccesity to change to aftermarket gauges or are you simply after a different look?

Little of both, I know the fuel gauge is broken in my donor clocks, so part necessity. It's also a car of thinning the wiring to the bare minimum and having the ability to recalibrate the speedometer for different final drives and wheel sizes. A bit of a future proofing exercise.

jim87

posted on 1/1/16 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers skov - that could be very useful!

Mick, if all you need is the fuel guage, then you're welcome to have the old one off my mx5 cluster

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.