Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blacktop 2.0 Clutch & Flywheel Options - Too Much Info
J90rdn

posted on 21/2/16 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Blacktop 2.0 Clutch & Flywheel Options - Too Much Info

Been reading for a few days now about options for the clutch and flywheel setup on a 2.0 Blacktop engine. Seems there is almost too much info out there, some of it contradicting.

I've got a new crate engine 2.0 blacktop, and it will be mated to a type 9 Sierra box. Obviously came with a new 2.0 DMF and clutch. GBS also sold me one of their Clutch Arm Pins to move the clutch fork closer

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=712&search=type+9

Question 1 - Can I actually use this 2.0 setup with the type9 gearbox and bell housing? It appears to fit OK. I know it is a heavier setup, but want to get the car up and running, and will happily pull the engine out in a few months time to fit lighter flywheel.

Question 2 - If I did use the 2.0 setup, what starter motor would I need?

If the 2.0 setup didn't work, or I wanted to fork out for a lighter setup, what would people recommend? I've read 1.8 zetec flywheel with 1.8 clutch, 1.8 zetec flywheel redrilled to accept pinto clutch, cvh flywheel and clutch drilled out to accept larger bolts etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance

loggyboy

posted on 21/2/16 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you have had changes made and products supplied by GBS, surely they should be able to answer your first question without any difficulties.
My chosen route was the 'bolt on' route of combined standard parts. No need to make things complicated when replacing things in future. Just kept a good file on what parts, numbers and source cars they came from.
Off hand, they are:
1.8 mondeo clutch kit, 1.8 early focus flywheel, lucas lr707 starter, ct133 release bearing and a 21/15mm spiggot bearing.

Edit. Also dont think the BT ever came with DMF, just a hefty standard one.

[Edited on 21-2-16 by loggyboy]

[Edited on 21-2-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

J90rdn

posted on 21/2/16 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
No changes made, GBS just supplied the crate engine and while I was there they recommended that pin to give better clutch pedal travel, and the release bearing. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone else had gone down the 2.0 flywheel and clutch route. I'd rather use new parts rather than second hand, hence wanting to use what I have.

Looking round for alternatives, I could send Dunnell my 2.0 flywheel and they will exchange it for one of their lightened ones, at 7.5KG.

big_wasa

posted on 22/2/16 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
You're flywheel will be solid not dual mass. Only the st170 got the dmf on a zetec bassed engine

There is so much info as there is no wrong way, unless it does not work

matt5964

posted on 22/2/16 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J90rdn
No changes made, GBS just supplied the crate engine and while I was there they recommended that pin to give better clutch pedal travel, and the release bearing. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone else had gone down the 2.0 flywheel and clutch route. I'd rather use new parts rather than second hand, hence wanting to use what I have.

Looking round for alternatives, I could send Dunnell my 2.0 flywheel and they will exchange it for one of their lightened ones, at 7.5KG.

I had Dunnell lighten mine when the engine went in for the head and bottom end work to be done, can highly recomend Paul's work. Makes a nice difference.

I also wanted to keep the new parts and make things easy when replacement parts were needed.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

emwmarine

posted on 22/2/16 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Same choice for me. I phoned GBS and they say it will bolt straight on. I haven't counted the numer of splines on the clutch and type 9 shaft yet to double check.

I will buy they starter and clutch pin as well.

Maybe a year down the line I will put a lighter flywheel on.

Building a Dax Rush.

Dusty

posted on 22/2/16 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I went similar route as loggyboy but after having clutch slip with standard new 2.0L blacktop parts which couldn't quite manage the torque on track I switched to pinto.

Zetec 1.8 flywheel drilled for standard 2.0L pinto pressure plate and organic 2.0L pinto driven plate and pinto release bearing cct 132. You could use the 1.8 flywheel plus the pinto parts off the donor. The standard pinto stuff can handle more power than the zetec clutch. Still fine after 10,000 miles some track time and sprints and the last 3 years behind 196bhp ST170.

Release bearing depends on flywheel and pressure plate used. (Aftermarket lightened flywheels can alter the mating surface position and starter needed. CCT133 with zetec pressure plate and flywheel, CCT132 with zetec flywheel and pinto pressure plate.
LRS707 starter.

Different again for MT75 box.

Nigel

J90rdn

posted on 22/2/16 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Nigel - I assume the contact area of the 1.8 clutch/flywheel combo is less than the pinto or 2.0? I wonder if the 2.0 zetec setup would give similar results to the pinto setup?
Paul Turner

posted on 22/2/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Back in 2001 when I fitted the Zetec I did much research (not on the web since I did not have access) and came to the following conclusions.

A brand new steel flywheel was by far the best option since lightened ones can shatter and damage your car and amputate your feet (even when the sellers say they have never had a problem before).

A steel flywheel comes drilled to suit your choice of clutch thus sourcing parts is simple. I used a clutch from a a Sierra DOHC, cost peanuts for a genuine Ford part (marked as Valeo/Motorcraft/Luk on the parts) and its well up to the job in a light car like a Seven and parts are available from any factors should I need them.

Using a steel flywheel means there is no need for special release bearings, standard Ford part.

Using a steel flywheel means there is no need for special starters, I originally used the X-Flow Lucas one form my old engine but now use a standard Sierra pinto one.

It all bolted together as intended and worked with no issues. Still working last year. Hopefully will work this year.

Total cost was under £300.

A few years ago I had a bad experience with GBS and would personally never trade with them again. Got a refund but not a pleasant experience.

furryeggs

posted on 22/2/16 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up with 3 clutches due to not knowing sizes etc, 3rd time lucky though. My type 9 has a 23 spline 1" shaft. my first 1.8 clutch turned up 17splines, 2nd turned up the correct amount of splines but 10mm to big across the diameter. theres alot of different clutch combinations for the zetec and a lot of people saying just get the 1.8 clutch which potentially has 20 combinations and only 2 or 3 that will actually work.

I now have a complete 2.0 flywheel with brand new clutch and pressure plate, a 220mm diameter 1.8 clutch and pressure plate thats 17 spline and the correct (i think) 220mm diameter 23 spline 1.8 flywheel clutch and pressure plate. All sold to me as 1.8 zetec clutch assemblies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.