Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis mods
Jomac

posted on 18/5/16 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis mods

Ive finally decided after 15 years to look at starting a car build but using parts i have at hand.

I have a donor vehicle which is a little unusual, its a French car that has a plastic body shell and the engine and axles are built on subframes. The engine being all of 505cc i think could be mounted at the back but using the original subframe and suspension.

Ive not looked too closely but i think the whole assembly could fit inside the confines of the rear chassis area.

Has anyone any experience or advice / comments on making a engined car?

a person who makes no mistakes, learns nothing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
emwmarine

posted on 19/5/16 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jomac
Ive finally decided after 15 years to look at starting a car build but using parts i have at hand.

I have a donor vehicle which is a little unusual, its a French car that has a plastic body shell and the engine and axles are built on subframes. The engine being all of 505cc i think could be mounted at the back but using the original subframe and suspension.

Ive not looked too closely but i think the whole assembly could fit inside the confines of the rear chassis area.

Has anyone any experience or advice / comments on making a engined car?

So you've no plans? No design?

Most people aim for a finished result, choose a kit, or set of plans, that meets their needs and then decide what donor, or donor parts, are needed to complete the kit.

Having said that there are a few cars, like the MX5, that kits are based around. So sometimes people with an existing car have the luxury of just being able to buy a kit based on that.

I would have thought that picking a French Micro-car and just trying to create something from it would end up just being another obscure unfinished project in someone's front garden.

Building a Dax Rush.

Neville Jones

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I'll say something positive!

Good on you for having a go at something novel. I'm building a rear engined car with a 900cc bike engine, based on the footprint of a classic MIni. You might start at something similar, as people put bike engines in the back of silhouette Mini's all the time.

I'm familiar with those little french cars, and wouldn't say that they have startling power, but it should end up being a whole lot of fun.

I've seen cars designed with chalk lines on the floor(once or twice on here!!!), and while I would recommend a more technical approach, it can be done.

The boatbuilder should be familiar with the old time methods of drawing a boat full size from the drawings, on the lofting floor, if he's ever built one from scratch. What you are suggesting is no different.

Go for it, but just be careful and methodical.

Cheers,
Nev.

Jomac

posted on 19/5/16 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Im pretty fortunate in many respects, i'm a capable engineer with plenty of time and access to quite a lot of engineering equipment. Making the frame isnt a problem. I originally earmarked the car for an electric conversion but that never advanced. The Microcars are pretty nippy in their original form, how it would perform in a lighter frame would be interesting.

I also have access to some cheap material called 'composite', its used in signmaking. Composite is a strong plastic sheet with a thin layer of aluminium each side, its very light and can be bent like aluminium panels.

Ive looked at the chassis drawings from here especially the dimensions, ive roughly measured up the front subframe with the engine in place and i think, if im lucky, i could slot the subframe and engine into what was the rear boot area with very little work.

Using the front subframe like this, i think would save me a lot of work and money, everything is mounted on one frame.

My interest in these sports cars came after reading the book, build a sports car for £250, ive seen some smart versions in my time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 19/5/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
That sign makers 'composite' panel stuff would be ok for non structural panels, but you'd be heading for a world of problems using it for a stressed chassis.

And bending it???? Just don't go there, you'd be opening up a minefield of problems that I'm not going to elaborate on. Just don't even entertain the idea for something even remotely load bearing. Been 'discussed' on here too many times in the past.

Cheers,
Nev.

nick205

posted on 19/5/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I thought through at length the idea of using a Pug 205 GTI engine and front sub-frame as the rear setup of a car. Whilst I love the engine and it could be done it just didn't seem worth the effort and unknowns compared to established kits. I chose and built an MK Indy in the end and was happy with the finished product. It seems to me quicker and easier to tread the tried and tested route.

Jomac

posted on 19/5/16 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'll follow up on the bending issue Neville, i'll take a piece down and see what a sharp bend looks like, ie the sort of bend you would find on the edges of the bonnet for example.

I though about using the whole sub frame assembly Nick, purely because it has everything in one place, engine, drive shafts, suspension etc, the only mod needed would be to lock down the track rods for the steering.

Ive seen a few plans, mainly of the £250 project. Looking at the rear end which would normally be the space for the boot, its dimensions and the cubic size of the engine and sub frame, i think the sub frame chassis could easily be morphed into the main chassis. If i get time later, i will try and take some pictures of the engine and sub frame with dimensions.

nick205

posted on 19/5/16 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
The idea is certainly attractive to make use of the sub-frame a manufacturer has spent a lot of time developing and making - as you say it has what you need on it already and can't be impossible to attach to another chassis.

Jomac

posted on 19/5/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I went down to visit my friends engineering company and took a piece of composite with me, feeding the sheet through rollers the was no problems bending the sheet with a 2" radius, it started to show signs of being unhappy at 1.5" with the aluminium showing signs of stretching on the outer surface, i think this would work well for the bonnet and the rear panel.

I am the sort of engineer who would chalk the chassis on the floor and build from there, technical drawings in my day were scribbled on the back of a fag packet

I'm still a way off starting, just getting idea's and plans right in my mind but the whole thing is getting more appealing as i think more.

I did realise another big plus point re-using the subframes, for those who don't know this sort of Microcar, its classed as a quadracycle, simply put its a quad bike with a car body. As long as the overall weight is under 400Kgs any person without a car licence, but has passed their bike test can drive one without a full car licence. The weight of this Microcar unladen is only 370 Kgs

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.