Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panelling/flooring - what order?
jps

posted on 5/7/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Panelling/flooring - what order?

Maybe i'm being thick - but I can't help but think that if I fit my floor first, i'll really struggle to get good square on access to drill and rivet the tunnel side panels...

So - do I need to panel the sides of the transmission tunnel before I fit the floor? Or will this cause me problems I haven't forseen?

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 5/7/16 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I fitted the floor first, then the interior panels. I did buy a right angle drill chuck to improve access when drilling the interior rivet holes though - about 15 IIRC - not used it since though.






View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brian R

posted on 5/7/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Drill everything first and dry fit the panels with cleco's or similar. You can then de-bur and tidy the panels etc before you fit them permanently.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 5/7/16 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
As already said. Floor first. The tunnel panels are easy to sort later on in the build.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 5/7/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R
Drill everything first and dry fit the panels with cleco's or similar. You can then de-bur and tidy the panels etc before you fit them permanently.


This the best option... Saves time in the long run..

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Bluemoon 's Yahoo
nick205

posted on 5/7/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
This is the chuck attachment I bought...

RIGHT ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT CHUCK KEY ADAPTER 3/8" DIY TOOL ACCESSORY CORDLESS






View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil_1471

posted on 5/7/16 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fit the stuff first that you least expect to want to take off in the future!





You can live in a car but can't rally a house

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 6/1/17 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
This is the chuck attachment I bought...

RIGHT ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT CHUCK KEY ADAPTER 3/8" DIY TOOL ACCESSORY CORDLESS


Quick bit of feedback - I used this link to buy the same right angle drill attachment. I was not overwhelmed by the quality - although I appreciate you get what you pay for - there is a fair bit of play in the chuck. That said, I don't know how much it is impacting on the actual hole I am getting - and the clecos still fit snugly so i'm assuming it will suffice.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/1/17 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
This is the chuck attachment I bought...

RIGHT ANGLE DRILL ATTACHMENT CHUCK KEY ADAPTER 3/8" DIY TOOL ACCESSORY CORDLESS


Quick bit of feedback - I used this link to buy the same right angle drill attachment. I was not overwhelmed by the quality - although I appreciate you get what you pay for - there is a fair bit of play in the chuck. That said, I don't know how much it is impacting on the actual hole I am getting - and the clecos still fit snugly so i'm assuming it will suffice.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick!



Still have mine and it works fine for me. Yes there is some play in it, but it seems to drill holes OK. From experience you have to hold it pretty tight in use to avoid potential damage to yourself or surrounding materials.






View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.