Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE engine
StuP

posted on 15/7/16 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE engine

I'm looking to get a 2nd hand kit car soon and one of the engines that has caught my interest is the Toyota 4AGE. Sounds like a decent engine, the car I've seen has a black top 20v.

My only concern about them is their availability. For the above engine how easy is it to get hold of spares and consumables?

And worst case, getting a replacement if it goes pop? Black top 20v in particular looks available on the auction site for about £1500, does that sound about right? Would a silver top be a straight swap if needed, or even one of the 16v from a mk1 MR2?

[Edited on 15/7/16 by StuP]

tul214

posted on 15/7/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 16v with a set of cams from Raw. Absolutely fantastice engine. Pretty much bomb proof and revs to 8k all day.

Have a read of this

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/7/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 16v 4age bombproof engine best conversion I could have done when I changed from a crossflow .
bi22le

posted on 15/7/16 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You wont read many negative posts regarding the 4age. The BT I have has been great.

There are parts on ebay, many parts of the BT and ST are shared with the normal ones. Change your search to US ebay and there are more. Look on deiftworks and people are using them and trading parts.

It was a concern for me originally but other than spark plugs and oil filter I have not needed anything so am less worried about spares now. The oil folters and som parts you can still get from your local toyota dealer, a few years back my local dealer printed off an exploded diagram for me with all of the part numbers!!

BT and ST are straights swaps as far as I know.

The short of it, its not as common or cheap for bits as a zetec or mainstream engines but does provide a great source of reliable power that is more unique.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.