Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting/PU-ing in the cold?
jps

posted on 5/1/17 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Painting/PU-ing in the cold?

I need to touch up parts of my chassis (spraying POR15 Blackcote is the plan) and bond some panels (Sikaflex 221 is the plan) - but it's a bit chilly in my domestic garage at the moment - had a quick scan of online forecasts suggesting more overnight freezing to come - and unlikely to get out of single figure temps in the day - for the rest of Jan.

Is this likely to scupper my plans? Or will stuff just take longer to cure/dry?

nick205

posted on 5/1/17 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
For the paint I've used an electric heater to improve curing/drying times - may be difficult on a chassis though.

Does the Sikaflex have any instructions on it with regards to temperature?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/1/17 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
All adhesives should have an open/closed time and curing range (both time and temperature). Check the packaging, but my money would be on a no-go in this current climate without some sort of additional heating. It would still cure (eventually), but why rush?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jps

posted on 5/1/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
All adhesives should have an open/closed time and curing range (both time and temperature). Check the packaging, but my money would be on a no-go in this current climate without some sort of additional heating. It would still cure (eventually), but why rush?

The slight time pressure is that I need to get my bodywork out of it's current storage by mid Feb, and I have a baby arriving on 6th Feb (in theory - could be sooner!!!)

I figured the best place for the bodywork to be stored is actually in situ on the chassis - plus i'm fairly well at that stage anyway...

So just trying to crack on really...

An alternative, not so appealing option, is that I dry fit everything as much as I can - then disassemble in warmer weather and do the actual sticking at that point...

Could try a gas heater in the garage but reckon it'll struggle to raise the heat enough....

jps

posted on 5/1/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
All adhesives should have an open/closed time and curing range (both time and temperature). Check the packaging,

Hadn't thought of looking up a tech sheet. Sikaflex 221 is OK in anything above 5c it seems (can't see the 40c max troubling me in the UK!) - so perhaps i'll be OK if temp picks up slightly. Plus I can boil the kettle in the garage under car a few times to get the moisture content of the air up to help it cure ?!

https://gbr.sika.com/dms/getdocument.get/4331ad75-7129-3241-98d9-1b8340204983/Sikaflex%20221.pdf

[Edited on 5/1/17 by jps]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/1/17 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt that Sikaflex (or any PU/isocyanate system) will present any trouble at the current temperature you'll find in a garage in Essex at the moment. It just won't go off quickly, which is sometimes a benefit when fitting panels.

I'm painting a chassis right now (taking a breather), actually, in a single garage. The floor is covered with a hefty sheet of cushioned vinyl flooring, a fresh spongy offcut purchased last weekend, which makes things much warmer. I have two Solquartz units heating the garage (one 2KW and one 3KW), which is complete overkill, but it's like Northern Australia in there. I can almost imagine myself not being on this depressing, damp, dark, grey rock when painting.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/17 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, POR-15 actually likes a damp atmosphere - it helps it to cure (but check the instructions rather than take my maybe-suspect advice!)

nick205

posted on 6/1/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
You could do worse than try a little of each on some test material to see how it goes!

IIRC my wheelie bin was full of "tests" during my build a few years ago.

alfas

posted on 9/1/17 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
COLD is never a good condition for applying any paint.

cant you take your chassis, transport it to a (heated) local garage / painter asking them if you can rent 1 or 2 day some space?

keep in mind: the CHASSIS is the most important part on the car. it should look nice and it should also be protected against corrosion.

if you paint it in a hurry and the result is not what you expected, you will be disapointed througout the whole completion of the car, which influences your motivation and has definatly neg. influences on the built-quality.

[Edited on 9/1/17 by alfas]

PSpirine

posted on 9/1/17 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be more concerned about the paint rather than the adhesive to be honest.

The adhesive will take a bit longer, but normally cures by moisture, so damp is good!

Paint on the other hand will get ruined if you get condensation on to cold metal if it's damp in the garage.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.