Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom length HT leads
super__dan

posted on 9/1/17 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Custom length HT leads

I've recently bought an MK Indyblade as a non runner with ignition issue. Someone had tried to fault find previously which meant things weren't as intended in the engine bay. Worked out both a coil and one of the ignition ecu (cdi) channels was duff. So with a used CDI, two Honda coils and 4 Honda leads and caps she's a runner.

However, the coils are mounted in front of the engine as opposed to on the bike frame directly above which means I need longer HT leads. Asking on the MK Indy facebook page I found out you can make up leads but this is something I've never done and could really do with some help / advice. Local factors sells 7mm lead by the metre but no idea where / how to get the required end connectors.

First time out is planned on Saturday with only tomorrow night to get whatever info I need (car stored 30 miles from my house), so I'd really appreciated an idiots guide to what info to find and any comments on then where to buy bits.

Many thanks,

Dan

nick205

posted on 9/1/17 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Vehicle Wiring Products I believe will sell you the parts (or perhaps make them for you).

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

I guess you may be pushed for time though!

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/1032/ht-cable

[Edited on 9/1/17 by nick205]

pekwah1

posted on 9/1/17 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
would it not be easier to just move the coils?
otherwise i guess a trip into a local motor factors and just see if they have something that fits....

CosKev3

posted on 9/1/17 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what ends are on the Honda leads but on my R1 leads coil end are a strange type of fitting,would struggke to find them imo.

I know Dale at Bailey Performance supplies custom length leads,but not sure if he makes them himself or has a supplier that does custom ones

[Edited on 9/1/17 by CosKev3]

super__dan

posted on 9/1/17 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
would it not be easier to just move the coils?
otherwise i guess a trip into a local motor factors and just see if they have something that fits....

Afraid not, the stock leads are so short that there is nothing to mount them on any closer to the spark plugs.

Need to have a good butchers tomorrow night and get some pics before ringing round on Wednesday. All help and info in advance appreciated though.

It's the end fittings that are out foxing me the most (bearing in mind I've never had a bike engine before) The plugs are like a serrated end the and caps slips down over the serrations. The coil ends are threaded on, though I've yet to take that end off and see what's underneath.

[Edited on 9/1/17 by super__dan]

[Edited on 9/1/17 by super__dan]

Paul Turner

posted on 11/1/17 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Magnacor make custom leads. When I contacted them the prices were the same as the standard length for the engine. Ultimately did not need them, simply moved the coil pack.
Matt21

posted on 12/1/17 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure mine has stock leads on it.

My coils are mounted to a length of flat bar bolted where the engine cradle bolts and sit along the edge of the rocker cover.

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.