Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air filter choice and vent type: C20XE
mcg

posted on 18/1/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Air filter choice and vent type: C20XE

Hi, and happy new year to all!

My F27 (running a red top) was on the rolling road last year and the chap noted that the filter and pipe was the cause of quite a drop in BHP. I would like to improve this, so was planning on firstly buying a decent filter, and then secondly moving it inboard, so there are no awkward pipe bends, and a quicker route for the air inside.

So question number 1, is can anyone recommend a good filter. My ignorance has me planning on getting a K&N one like the one linked below, but please advise if there are better routes to go:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/universal-air-filters/kn-filters-universal-round-tapered-air-filter

Secondly my plan as shown below is to box in the filter, and the cover the box with heat resistant material.

[img] Air FIlter Air flow 2
Air FIlter Air flow 2
[/img]

Then it is a question of how to service the filter with air. I am thinking bonnet scoop (NACA style), or side vent. (see below)

[img] Air FIlter Air flow 1
Air FIlter Air flow 1
[/img]

Could anyone suggest what will be better?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

bi22le

posted on 18/1/17 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not extend the pipe all of the way forward so that the filter is infront of the rad?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mcg

posted on 18/1/17 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Actually that is how it is right now:

[img] mcgcooling3
mcgcooling3
[/img]

The pipe has a kind of dog leg which i am guessing (combined with the concertinaed inner surface) is making for an un-smooth journey for the air.

It could be just that the filter i have at the front is cheap, and therefore restrictive.

On a previous post, someone suggested adding a cowling to block air from side stepping the rad and air filter up front, which could also be an option.

I have previously seen this kind of thing on caterhams which is what gave me the idea:

[img] Airbox 2s
Airbox 2s
[/img]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 18/1/17 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has run plenty of C20XE's and C20LET's in Cavaliers, Astras, etc. over the years, and he ended up using a BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Airbox) for the best results. It's not the cheapest, and considerably more expensive than the universal K&N you were looking at, though. Different application, so not sure how that would compare to the same engine in a 7???

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

bi22le

posted on 18/1/17 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
A friend of mine has run plenty of C20XE's and C20LET's in Cavaliers, Astras, etc. over the years, and he ended up using a BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Airbox) for the best results. It's not the cheapest, and considerably more expensive than the universal K&N you were looking at, though. Different application, so not sure how that would compare to the same engine in a 7???

I am currently changing my inlet system and have gone for the pipercross equivalent.

Check out my pics and build post of how it looks unfinished.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mcg

posted on 18/1/17 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input. Do these kind of set ups have an appreciable benefit / increase in power?

I suppose i am comparing to the power run on the rolling road with no filter on, and trying to get as close to that figure as i can.

laptoprob

posted on 18/1/17 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcg
Thanks for the input. Do these kind of set ups have an appreciable benefit / increase in power?

I suppose i am comparing to the power run on the rolling road with no filter on, and trying to get as close to that figure as i can.

With your current setup of the std inlet manifold and throttle body the gains or losses will be equally minimal to be honest. I used to run the XE in my Astra when i was in my early 20's and experimented with loads of options. The K+N type filter you have on all ready is fine for your setup but at Bizzle said i would extend it downwards to make full use of any cold air coming from the front of the car.

Ideally i would ditch the lot and put on bike carbs or better still throttle bodies then you'll free up approx 25-30hp from the current setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

perksy

posted on 18/1/17 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair as Laptoprob says above with the standard set-up its always going to be a compromise

You need the filter to be located in as Cold an airflow as possible, So your going out of the bonnet or as said in front of the rad

Budget dependent but TB's would make a big difference or bike carbs as a cheaper alternative

Still have a soft spot for Webers though, Perhaps I'm getting old

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.