Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen..
Dave Bailey

posted on 14/3/17 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen..

So my windscreen cracked last year and its coming up to MOT time so I thought I would crack on (no pun intended) and fix it. So I dug out all the old glass from the frame and decided to add some tenax fittings to the frame along the top front face ready for when I get my top made. I have 5 holes down each side of the frame with helicoils in them for fitting to the supports with m5 screws. Basically the helicoils are knackered because the frame is not thick enough so I drilled and fitted M5 rivnuts. In short the rebate on the frame is now only about 3 mm at best down the sides and along the top so the glass cutting has to be pretty accurate. The question is do you think the glass cutting companies are going to decline cutting the glass with this accuracy?

Dave B

[Edited on 14/3/17 by Dave Bailey]

Mash

posted on 14/3/17 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
No Mate. They'll cut whatever you want, just take them a paper template, and they'll cut it exactly the same.
SJ

posted on 15/3/17 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
As Mash says they'll cut whatever you ask for, but to me 3mm doesn't sound anything like as much as you need. 1cm sounds more like it.

posted on 15/3/17 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
My screen has a 1.6mm strip of rubber over it that's then pushed into the ally channel by the edge of the glass.
The excess is trimmed off afterwards.

No way would this stay in if my groove depth was only 3mm.

The smaller the fixings, the less metal thickness needed, so I wouldn't go bigger than tapping M4.
That's what I used to screwed my frame to the side supports. (M4 stainless button heads)

You won't want to hear this but if it was mine I'd make another frame.

Paul G

[Edited on 15/3/17 by 907]

Dave Bailey

posted on 15/3/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well as said.. I spoke with the glass company ant they have said they will cut glass with areas relieved where the pemserts are so happy days...

Thanks for the comments guys by the way...

Dave B

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.