Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I now beyond help?

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Am I now beyond help?

No pub meets, no kit shows, no clubs, just nowhere to go.....

so I'm thinking of buying an MX5.

Going to look at one Saturday.

Paul G

p.s.

Best check my stock of MIG wire.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
You'll have to get your hair permed first... shouldn't take long.

Seriously though - at least you have loads of MX5 experience in your family, which helps.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
i did the same,now i have a car i can use and enjoy every day,it has a roof and heater for winter ,whats not to like ?.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
You'll have to get your hair permed first... shouldn't take long.

Seriously though - at least you have loads of MX5 experience in your family, which helps.

The pub landlord who races one has a sticker on his.

No Hairdressing Equipment Left In This Vehicle Overnight

nick205

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I can see your line of thought here!

That said I regret to this day selling my MK Indy. Sure it didn't have a roof and doors and I got caught in the rain a few times. However the buzz of simply getting in it fulfilled things for me

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest it's the local MX5 club that attracts me.

They meet once a month in a pub, and I am going this coming Wednesday in the Suttol, wether permitting.

Almost every week they do something. Drive outs, pub lunches, track days, treasure hunts, and then on top
of that there are the national events.

The last BBQ we did four Locosters turned up, and two of them didn't have cars. Good job we get the local
classics, vintage, and sports car mobs to make up the numbers. Five of those were MX5 club members.

Paul G

p.s.
Might sell the Suttol

anthony1

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
An interesting timeline........???

Having read your post and possibly sharing your thinking on more than one occasion.......I would like to share this timeline..........Dutton Phaeton.....Triumph Spitfire......2 children.......Formula 27-built from scratch using plans purchased.......Lotus Excel.......Caterham 7.........Mx5 mk1........VW Scirrocco........VW Golf Cabrio..........Westfield........Toyota Yaris T sport.........Mx5 Mk2.........MK Indy. Could be others out there think in a similar way , I have to admit I think I am addicted to Seven type cars , usually all the time I own one I look at other sporty cars......however I always come home !!!!! Yes we know all about the days when it is pouring with rain or freezing cold......but for the many , or even few memories of the drive round the North West highlands , or along your favourite road wherever that may be , in my opinion , nothing beats a sevenesque type vehicle........

[Edited on 1/6/17 by anthony1]

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i did the same,now i have a car i can use and enjoy every day,it has a roof and heater for winter ,whats not to like ?.

Yup. Roof, heater, supercharger, what's not to like ?

pekwah1

posted on 1/6/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
would it not be easier to just set up a local meet?

Or maybe join GALA bingo?

sdh2903

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at the Westfield forum meets? There's always planned meets, breakfast runs, random midweek jaunts being planned. They aren't snobby about brands of cars from what I've seen welcome all. Might cost you a few quid to join but you can do a trial membership to start.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/forum/67-local-area-meets-events-kit-car-shows/

Is there not a southern kit cars club aswell?

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
would it not be easier to just set up a local meet?

Or maybe join GALA bingo?

My son and I do just that, usually a BBQ, but we rely on the classic car owning locals to make up the numbers.

If each person then organised something then we'd have events all summer.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The last BBQ we did four Locosters turned up, and two of them didn't have cars. Good job we get the local
classics, vintage, and sports car mobs to make up the numbers. Five of those were MX5 club members.

In all fairness - the weather was threatening to piddle down - and it did, later on. With no roof you end up sitting in a mobile bathtub. That's my excuse, anyway!

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by 907

In all fairness - the weather was threatening to piddle down - and it did, later on. With no roof you end up sitting in a mobile bathtub. That's my excuse, anyway!

This year we'll run you home in an MX5

ianhurley20

posted on 1/6/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul - have you tried http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/ they meet monthly near Tacolneston and go to various events around East Anglia with cars ranging from a Dutton to an Ultima

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/6/17 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at getting a MX5 mk3 but could not find one that wasn't rustier than the Titanic underneath, more I looked into them the worse it got. Their almost rusty by the time they are shipped over. Turns out Japan doesn't use salt on the roads...

Actually fallen out of favour with Jap cars after having a few that were scrapped due to excessive corrosion making them unsafe

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 1/6/17 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I looked at getting a MX5 mk3 but could not find one that wasn't rustier than the Titanic underneath, more I looked into them the worse it got. Their almost rusty by the time they are shipped over. Turns out Japan doesn't use salt on the roads...

Actually fallen out of favour with Jap cars after having a few that were scrapped due to excessive corrosion making them unsafe

What do you expect up there. If it's not snow, hail, & rain, then its salt air from the Artic Circle.

Why, down in East Anglia we're officially classed as a desert.
In the "Bread Basket" of England we not only grow the wheat we harvest it ready baked on the stalk.

posted on 2/6/17 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Hi Paul - have you tried http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/ they meet monthly near Tacolneston and go to various events around East Anglia with cars ranging from a Dutton to an Ultima

Hi Ian.

Norwich / North Norfolk is a bit of a stretch from Essex otherwise I'd join.
For weekday evening meets a club needs to be near and handy, and with weekend meetings there's the inevitable clash
with other shows. Your meet this month coincides with a show at Cressing Temple Barns (near Braintree) for instance.

The local MX5 club meets at Bradfield Combust, just south of Bury St Eds on the first Wed of the month. That's 25 mins
away, 20 when I fit the Salon Supercharger or shoehorn a V6 in.

I visited another little local club the other Monday night. Called the 1066 (from the road B1066, not the battle).
They were a friendly bunch. It seemed like I spoke to every member.

Do you go to the Bury Car Show / Cars on the Green ? I hope to be there in the Suttol.

ATB
Paul G

ianhurley20

posted on 2/6/17 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Paul - I am in Devon on the day - would have been nice to meet up - there will be a contingent of cars from EAKCC at the event though. Good luck with the other clubs though.
North Norfolk where I am to the club meets is 36 miles for me, everywhere seems a long way away ;-) so Essex/Suffolk ..... I see what you mean
Ian

Mike Bentley

posted on 2/6/17 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
mx5 or kitcar

When I sold my last kitcar I bought an MX5 to tide me over some 4 years ago whilst I finished the money pit of a house we bought,
House finished and kit build back on track.
I wonder why I am bothering as the MX5 is such fun.
BUT ITS THE BUILDING I LIKE
And with a kit the rust and paint work is not to much trouble.

pewe

posted on 2/6/17 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try this - cars come up for sale as well as parts linky
As with Conrod I've not looked back since acquiring my s/c Mk1 Eunos.
It does track days (doesn't it, John? ), Autosolos and takes SWMBO and I to Italy for a fortnight each year - as he said "What's not to like"?
Cheers, Pewe10

posted on 3/6/17 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
New gay on the block

It's now mine. Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy

For those in the know, it's an S-VT Sport

Paul G

new toy
new toy

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know somebody who does a nice turbo kit...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.