Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Every competitors worse nightmare - hit in the trailer
jeffw

posted on 15/8/17 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Every competitors worse nightmare - hit in the trailer

Travelling up to Curborough on last Friday pm on the M25/M3 junction I had a RTC while stationary. A lady in a Honda CRV drove (at some speed) into the back of my trailer causing extensive damage to the Phoenix and wrecking the trailer.

The ladies insurance company has admitted liability and my assessor has decided the trailer and racecar are a total loss. As this is classed as goods in transit and not a vehicle I'm pursuing the insurers for the full value of replacements for the car and trailer totalling some £53K according to my assessor. My Range Rover tow hook is bent as well so will need replacing and the Phoenix has chassis damage as well as requiring a complete, custom body.

Sad times.

HowardB

posted on 15/8/17 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
oh no, that is a disaster,. so sorry to hear

At least there is an admission of guilt and it wasn't a large lorry that tail ended you.

Is this the point that the Phoenix will rise from the ashes as an Arion S2?

wishing it a speedy recovery

:/

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jeffw

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
This is the point I buy a Norma M20F I think

HowardB

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm,... the Norma M20F looks interesting but not as mean as the Phoenix with the wide body kit!

I am sure that Steve can do wonders with the chassis,....

Howard

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, looks like she was really going some! Sorry to hear the news. Makes me nervous to think that people don't give 100% concentration whilst driving.... since passing my motorbike test some years back, it's really made me aware of everything going on around me. Fingers crossed for a speedy payout, and new toy on the road!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jeffw

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
There is a lot more to it than just the chassis, there is £ 000s of labour to make a complete body for it and move everything onto a new chassis as well as the parts. The gearbox/prop/diff will need rebuilding as the car was in gear and strapped down on all four corners, the force wheels are oval, all 16 rose joints need changing out at £100ea, it needs a new exhaust at £2K and so on.

djtom

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
You may end up doing ok out of it if the insurance company allow you to buy back the wreckage at a favourable rate - can't see a huge amount from the photos but assuming the front end of the car is ok, then there will be an awful lot of salvageable bits worth a lot of money, including that rather nice engine...
Can't see the ins company wanting to deal with punting that on to the trade as its quite a niche car, so ask them for a price. You may be surprised.

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldnt have to worry about buying it back if its classed as contents/goods.

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 15/8/17 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
This ....

I am told by someone in the know that is will be goods in transit and not a vehicle as such so they pay replacement costs for the trailer and car while not requiring you to buy it back.

The front it pretty mashed as well so there would be a lot of work to get it back together.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 15/8/17 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
This ....

I am told by someone in the know that is will be goods in transit and not a vehicle as such so they pay replacement costs for the trailer and car while not requiring you to buy it back.

The front it pretty mashed as well so there would be a lot of work to get it back together.

Be careful with certain terminology, as when it comes to "goods in transit", it may place a limit on value (in does in terms of transporting goods under Road Haulage Association by hauliers). Not sure how this relates for private/personal transport, but just a word of warning. Here's hoping for a fully-covered payout!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HowardB

posted on 15/8/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The force wheels are oval!!! She was driving at you? That is some serious damage list.

Howard

mark chandler

posted on 15/8/17 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Terribly bad luck Geoff

I gues the car became the sandwich between two heavy cars, hope you. get it sorted quickly to your satisfaction.

luke2152

posted on 15/8/17 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
This ....

Be careful with certain terminology, as when it comes to "goods in transit", it may place a limit on value (in does in terms of transporting goods under Road Haulage Association by hauliers). Not sure how this relates for private/personal transport, but just a word of warning. Here's hoping for a fully-covered payout!

Surely makes no difference at all if you're not at fault because its not your policy paying. You could be completely uninsured (other than third party cover) and the other persons insurance has to make things right. Just hope they can agree on a value.

jeffw

posted on 15/8/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, her insurance is dealing with everything.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/8/17 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I really hope you get good outcome to this as I've heard some horror stories about limits on payouts for goods in transit .

[Edited on 15/8/17 by ian locostzx9rc2]

gremlin1234

posted on 15/8/17 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
from and insurance company point of view, this is quite a small claim, - ie no personal injury etc
Nathsx

posted on 15/8/17 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Fingers crossed things work out!

At least she was insured as bad as it sounds

blue2cv

posted on 16/8/17 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you get tow car rear end inspected, may have chassis damage if tow equipment bent
tims31

posted on 16/8/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, gutted for you Jeff. She must have been going some and that was some impact to cause that damage.

Hope you get it sorted okay

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Andy B

posted on 16/8/17 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
So sorry to see this Jeff - sustaining damage on track is hard enough to swallow but on the highway makes a far bitter pill.
Hope you get sorted sooner rather than later and looking at the impact and having spent years cutting people from wrecks, the only positive to draw is no-one is seriously injured
Best regards
Andy

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/17 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
So sorry to see this Jeff - sustaining damage on track is hard enough to swallow but on the highway makes a far bitter pill.

I dunno, at least someone else is paying for the repairs when its off track!

Mistral Motorsport

richardm6994

posted on 16/8/17 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
OMFG!! What a crying shame!!!

All that work and effort after the fire now down the drain! Not only was she an awesome weapon, she looked bl00dy gorgeous doing what she did best. I really hope to see the phoenix rise again, but I can imagine it must be hard to find the enthusiasm given she's only just gone back together!

I know you're pretty well sorted for most things, but if you ever need any help, machining, fabricating etc....please just give me shout mate.

jeffw

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind thoughts (and offers of help), I'm genuinely touched. I haven't realised how many people like(d) the car until this has happened.

At the moment it is looking like a total loss so I'll wait and see what her insurance want to do. There is a possibility it could be reborn as a Cyana but I suspect, if it is written off, I will move to something like a Norma M20F or a Radical SR8.

12 years of my life in one car and it all gets snatched away by someone being inattentive....sad days.

jeffw

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote

jeffw

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
3 secs faster than I'd ever been round Combe before...last recording of the car really.

[Edited on 16/8/17 by jeffw]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.