Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiling water taps !
NigeEss

posted on 2/9/17 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Boiling water taps !

As this forum is always a fountain of knowledge, what experience and recommendations for
boiling water taps ?
Plenty options these days, but I have two criteria, well I have one, must make good tea, wife has two,
has to be a all in one unit and look nice.

Budget around £700.

Over to you........

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Slimy38

posted on 2/9/17 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
As an infrequent but extremely picky tea drinker, I don't like the thought of using a boiling water tap for tea. Tea needs freshly drawn water poured when just off the boil. It just isn't the same if the water is boiled again, or has been standing in the kettle, etc.

Boiling water taps either heat the water as it comes through, or rely on a small tank to boil the water. The former is unlikely to get to the right temperature, and the latter will have had water sat around in the tank.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're a good idea, but if concern number one is around being able to make a cuppa, I wouldn't touch them at all.

Oh, and it looks like one issue on 'the internet' is splashback. And thinking about it, the number of times I've got a sleeve or a hand wet when running a cold or hot tap, having the same but being boiling water is a very scary thought...

goaty

posted on 2/9/17 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have installed many and had drinks from them too.
None I have experienced (quooker and zip) make a good tea, the water doesn't ever boil. Just gets very hot so doesn't quite do it.
Most people say its tastes ok but not for me.
Save your money

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 3/9/17 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
A kettle is a lot cheaper less hassle and cheaper to run and a decent kettle is less than 50 quid and as said they don't boil the water it's cooler .
David Jenkins

posted on 3/9/17 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've always been a bit wary of these things - boiling water at the touch of a lever? Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen, especially if there are kids or geriatrics around.

LBMEFM

posted on 3/9/17 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've always been a bit wary of these things - boiling water at the touch of a lever? Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen, especially if there are kids or geriatrics around.

Although I don't particularly like them, there is a safety collar that prevents hot water coming out "at the touch of a lever".

morcus

posted on 3/9/17 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
We have them at work and most people in the office reckon you have to run through about a litre of water in the morning or it tastes funny (I'm never there that early) though its about the size of a bin so you wouldn't have one that big. I thought the non-reservoir kind were just for making hot water for washing.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/9/17 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Frankly, for the number of times I'd use it in a day, a kettle is far more practical.

NigeEss

posted on 3/9/17 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Frankly, for the number of times I'd use it in a day, a kettle is far more practical.

I have about 10 mugs a day

mark chandler

posted on 3/9/17 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
We have them at work, they are great after waiting for a kettle to boil.

Tea tastes better? My sainsburys red labled made in the cup do not taste the same as twinnings breakfast blend in a pot, it's quick and hot

nick205

posted on 4/9/17 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting reading some of the replies.

I like a good brew of tea and it's said I'm fussy about how it's made.

We've tried boiling water taps at work and they simply don't cut it for me and tea.

1 Kettles are cheap
2 You can fill them with freshly drawn water
3 You can pour boiling water on your tea bag(s)
4 Kettles are less hassle all around

Get a kettle

David Jenkins

posted on 4/9/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Although I don't particularly like them, there is a safety collar that prevents hot water coming out "at the touch of a lever".

Having experienced the ingenuity of my grandchildren (2.5 and 5.5 years old), I doubt whether a safety collar would be enough. They are capable of unlocking and opening doors, opening 'child-proof' containers without difficulty, and other such tricks. Much as I love them, we have to keep our eyes open when they're around!

[Edited on 4/9/17 by David Jenkins]

FuryRebuild

posted on 4/9/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
They're awesome, and kettles are pants.

We've had an insinkerator (97C) which makes a good cup of tea. However, we only got 4 years out of each. We've moved onto a Quooker (waiting to be installed). It spits out water at 100C, and aerated it so if it hits your skin, you don't get a major burn. My MIL has had one for 8 years, and it's never skipped a beat.

They're only an issue for hurting yourself if you put your hand under. The same with a kettle - if you pour it on your hands.

The other bonus is you have water at the right temp instantly, and gramme for gramme, it's meant to be more energy efficient.

get one - you'll not look back.

An alternative is the tefal one-cup. Heated water on demand. I measured the energy consumption with this against a kettle and it consumed about 35% less energy.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

NigeEss

posted on 4/9/17 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

An alternative is the tefal one-cup. Heated water on demand. I measured the energy consumption with this against a kettle and it consumed about 35% less energy.

Had one once, wasn't impressed which is why I haven't just leapt in and bought a BWT.

mcerd1

posted on 4/9/17 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuildAn alternative is the tefal one-cup. Heated water on demand. I measured the energy consumption with this against a kettle and it consumed about 35% less energy.

^^ I never though the Tea out of those things was that good either

-

HowardB

posted on 4/9/17 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
we have a Quooker at work, serves about 70 people in an office. Works well and makes "ok" tea. Better than an urn all day long

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

02GF74

posted on 4/9/17 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
, and gramme for gramme, it's meant to be more energy efficient.

maybe more efficient but not significantly cheaper according to this.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/ask-a-money-expert/i-want-an-instant-boiling-water-tap--will-it-cost-more-than-usin/

how lazy do you have to be to not wanting to fill up a kettle to boil the water Next you'll be wanting some sort of gizmo so that you do not have to get up and change TV channels

morcus

posted on 7/9/17 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
My Granddad had a solution to this way back in the 60's according to my father. My grandparents had a Rayburn stove that provided all the heating and hot water for the house and my granddad used to keep a kettle of water on a warm part of the stove and would move it onto the hot bit to boil the water when required. by the time I was born he'd pretty much stopped doing that and just used a kettle.

As to value for money I think you'd have to use a hot water tap a lot to make it cheaper than kettles because you can get kettles so cheap.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.