Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage roof advice can I pitch it????
Bigboystoys

posted on 12/1/18 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Garage roof advice can I pitch it????

Evening all, I have noticed my garage roof has started leaking which gives me the excuse to the Mrs to change it, it's a detached double garage to the side of our house, What I'm trying to find out is whether I need planning permission to pitch the roof instead of fitting another flat roof as it currently has. Next door has a pitched garage roof and I'm thinking I will be able to put a lift in if the roof is pitched.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Sam

loggyboy

posted on 12/1/18 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly and stupidly you will needed permission. However if you were building from scratch (not replacing) a new garage you could do a reasonable sized one with a pitched roof! - under permitted development.(subject to a few other factors).
Fortunately it's a fairly easy application which under most circumstances will be an easy approval. Council fees would be about £172 iirc.

Mistral Motorsport

Bigboystoys

posted on 12/1/18 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for reply
snapper

posted on 12/1/18 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
If neighbour has a pitched roof a planning precidence has been set.
Planners look for changes to blend in, your request to pitch the roof would include photos of the neighbouring property
I don’t see a problem

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Wadders

posted on 12/1/18 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Depending where you live, and how well you get on with the neighbours I would just crack on.......unless someone complains it’s highly unlikely anyone will ever pick up on it, i built an extra garage at the last house with no problems, it didn’t even cause a problem when i sold the house.
Irony

posted on 12/1/18 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The likelihood of planning permission being turned down for such a thing is remote. You could always crack on and then apply for planning retrospectively if someone complains. It depends on your location and neighbours.
loggyboy

posted on 12/1/18 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
If neighbour has a pitched roof a planning precidence has been set.
Planners look for changes to blend in, your request to pitch the roof would include photos of the neighbouring property
I don’t see a problem

Precedent is never a guarantee as policies change. Each application should be viewed by its own merits.

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 12/1/18 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Chap I know had permission for a flat roof, he built it to the plans and asked the inspector if he could pitch it at a later stage, he said just go on and do it as it will better match the neighbours and do not worry about permission unless someone complains.

I would pitch it and retrospectively apply if people complain and not worry about it unless it's going to look significantly different to the neighbours.

loggyboy

posted on 12/1/18 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
For the sake of £172 is it worth risking being made to tear it down?

Mistral Motorsport

Schrodinger

posted on 13/1/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware not all property has permitted development. For instance where I live in the Waveney valley there is none you have to apply for permission for any change to the property, although, if it would normally fall under permitted development there is no charge.

[Edited on 13/1/18 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

Sam_68

posted on 13/1/18 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
....although, if it would normally fall under permitted development there is no charge.

That is only the case for the next 3 days, in fact, so you'll have to be bloody quick!

SJ

posted on 13/1/18 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Will putting a pitched roof contravene what you can do under PD? I changed mine from flat to pitched, but it was only a small single garage and fell within the PD rules. i.e if I was starting from scratch I would have been able to build it as it is now under PD.
loggyboy

posted on 18/1/18 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Will putting a pitched roof contravene what you can do under PD? I changed mine from flat to pitched, but it was only a small single garage and fell within the PD rules. i.e if I was starting from scratch I would have been able to build it as it is now under PD.

No, PD looks at the site as it is and as it was, so demolishing are replacing doest count as new element. So replacing a roof on an existing structure, or replacing one structure with a slightly different structure wouldnt be under PD.

Mistral Motorsport

SJ

posted on 18/1/18 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
That makes a whole load of sense! What you are saying is if you don't have a garage with a pitched roof you can build one if compliant with pd, but if you have an identical garage wit a flat roof you need planning permission to make the same as you could build under pd?

If you are right that is just daft.

Sam_68

posted on 18/1/18 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
What you are saying is if you don't have a garage with a pitched roof you can build one if compliant with pd, but if you have an identical garage wit a flat roof you need planning permission to make the same as you could build under pd?

No, that's wrong.

Permitted Development looks at the property as it was originally built (or as it stood on 1st July 1948, which is when the modern Planning system came into force), simple as that.

You can do whatever you want, either cumulatively or in one hit, provided it falls within the rules for permitted development when compared to the property as it originally stood.

To expand on my response to Schrodinger, above, it used to be the case that you didn't have to pay for applications for work which would have been PD, if PD rights hadn't been withdrawn, but they've just changed the rules so that, as of yesterday, you do now have to pay.

SJ

posted on 18/1/18 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
So if the garage is an add on with a flat roof after the original house was built [or 1948] you a can change it as long as within PD rules?
Sam_68

posted on 18/1/18 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Provided the end result remains compliant with PD rules, yes.
McLannahan

posted on 18/1/18 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Can I pitch it???

Yes you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3pyCGnZzYA

Bigboystoys

posted on 19/1/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies I'm looking into it so will keep you posted

Thanks Sam

coozer

posted on 20/1/18 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Id crack on with it and copy the neighbours. Might be worth asking them if they had to ask the building inspector as well..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.