Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Torque settings for wishbones? or just tight?
petroldiaries

posted on 19/3/18 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Torque settings for wishbones? or just tight?

Torque settings for wishbones.

I have a Westfield SeiW with rusty front wishbones fitted to Cortina uprights. I've sourced some replacements, I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a torque setting for the nylon locking nuts?

Thanks

shindha

posted on 19/3/18 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
look here and here
NigeEss

posted on 19/3/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know the setting but if you are using metalastic bushes don't tighten till the car is on the floor.
If you tighten whilst jacked up and suspension is in droop, when lowered the bushes will be under
constant twist.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

nick205

posted on 20/3/18 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
Don't know the setting but if you are using metalastic bushes don't tighten till the car is on the floor.
If you tighten whilst jacked up and suspension is in droop, when lowered the bushes will be under
constant twist.

Good point for all cars!

I fitted replacement front wishbones (with new bushes) to my 205 GTI. Jack it up to do the work then back on the ground to tighten the bolts. For that car I used the Haynes manual torque figures. For my MK Indy I did it more by feel and sound - stood on the front/rear of the chassis and bounce up and down - if it squeaks then the bolts are too tight!

ETA - the 205 has metalastic bushes and the Indy had nylon bushes with a central crush tube. On the latter type make sure the crush tube is marginally longer than the width across the outer faces of the nylon bushes - otherwise the bushes aren't free to rotate around the crush tube.

[Edited on 20/3/18 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.